Product Manager - Developer Experience
Distributed (US or Canada) /
Honeycomb is built to help engineering teams deeply explore and understand their own production systems — in real time. It's a service for the near future and present, where distributed systems are the new default, every service is a platform, and empowered generalist software engineers are the new ops. We are passionate about consumer-quality developer tools and excited to build a product that raises our industry's expectations of what our tools can do for us.
This role will have you focusing on Honeycomb’s developer experience, working closely with our engineering team to discover and deliver intuitive, friendly, and occasionally magical ways for users to bring their application data into Honeycomb. You’ll help define our public APIs, identify ecosystem opportunities, and prioritize SDK work and other integration initiatives. You’ll dive into our product onboarding experience, form hypotheses, and experiment with ways to make it even better.
This role would be a good fit for someone who:
- Loves crafting powerful developer experiences. You’ll be responsible for ensuring our technical users can quickly and reliably use Honeycomb tools to instrument their applications. We’d love it if the person in this role has their own ideas about what constitutes great DX, and is excited about helping Honeycomb evolve. You’ll probably be most successful in this role if you’ve worked as a software engineer at some point and have good orientation around the developer tools landscape.
- Cares deeply about users and their needs. A strong candidate for this role will naturally gravitate toward wanting to understand users, what pains them and pleases them, and will be relentless in advocating for their best interests in the product. They will feel comfortable proactively reaching out to users, and their engagement will be tuned toward empathy and understanding.
- Knows how to think big, and build small. You are equally at home setting a vision and identifying small pieces of value that can be delivered iteratively. You enjoy spinning plates and shepherding product work through its entire lifecycle, from early prototype to GA.
- Understands and appreciates developer ecosystems. You’ll keep an eye on activity in Honeycomb’s OSS projects as well as external projects that extend our product. We’d like you to help set clear expectations with both our contributors and developers who leverage our OSS components around their level of support and completeness.
- Synthesizes and distills signal to create focus. Honeycomb’s users and employees alike are treasure troves of great ideas and feedback. We’d like you to have a knack for listening to all of it, identifying patterns, and aligning signal with our product strategy and goals. The product manager we’re hoping to find will not be easily distracted by streams of information incoming from many directions.
- Values clear, open communication. We see clear, thoughtful, and regular communication (including a willingness to give and receive feedback) as a fundamental skill, not just a nice to have — and we hope you do too. This role sits at the intersection of several teams and our users, making communication especially important.
- Likes being a generalist. We’re a small team at Honeycomb, so there will be plenty of opportunities to jump around and help out with other areas of our product efforts as well — the ideal candidate would enjoy a bit of variety in their work and not find it too distracting to help out with other projects from time to time.
- Has some experience. For this role, there's a minimum of 3 years of professional experience as a product manager or as a software engineer, advancing beyond an entry-level position. We'd love to find someone who's done both roles, but will consider candidates who've done either one of them.
Let's do this
We're building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. We hire adults. We value transparency, autonomy, experimentation, and kind, direct feedback. We welcome nontraditional candidates, and people of all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We're an equal opportunity employer and our hiring process is designed to put you at ease and help you show your best work; if we are doing a poor job of this at any time, please let us know.