Product Design Intern
San Francisco, California /
Strategy & Design /
Hopelab (www.hopelab.org) is a non-profit, social innovation lab based in San Francisco, CA. We’re tackling some big challenges like: reducing loneliness in college students, boosting resilience and identity affirmation in LGBTQ+ teens, and curbing the vaping epidemic. We take on these challenges by creating digital solutions based on science, co-created with young people, and scaled through partnerships with supportive organizations.
Hopelab is seeking an intern (~20 hours per week over ~8 weeks) from as early as May 2021. The intern will work closely with the Product Lead and Design team for our LGBTQ+ mental health project: milk. You can learn more about the project here: www.hopelab.lgbt
We’re seeking someone who is curious about LGBTQ+ affirming mental health tools and methods, and the role design can play in creating these tools. In this role, you will make tangible inputs for a tool which we’re hoping will help tens of thousands of LGBTQ+ teens.
Projects you might take on:
- Develop and/or source visual elements and content for our product with a queer, intersectional lens (e.g., collaborating with our Research and Design team on ways to ensure that teen users feel seen and supported through visuals and content)
- Shape user interaction design (e.g., design thoughtful adjustments to the user flow that will encourage a user to come back for more mental health content and activities)
- Design content to support product adoption (e.g. draft, and potentially create content for Instagram, TikTok, or print media to help explain the product offering for an LGBTQ+ teen audience and to those who work with LGBTQ+ teens)
Preferred background and experience:
- You’ve built something online (website, art, weird chat bot, etc.) and are curious about what makes digital products enjoyable, yet not addictive
- Willingness to do while learning, embracing that things can be ambiguous or uncertain
- Acknowledges and understands the importance of intersectional identities, especially as it relates to exploring LGBTQ+ identities and communities
- Appreciates design and how it’s able to help support storytelling, exploration, and experiences of joy
- Interested in bringing your perspective to our work
The intern will report to the Product Lead.
This is a paid, remote opportunity.
Applications are due by Sunday, 25 April 2021 and require a resume, a brief cover letter, and a link to a portfolio highlighting something you've built online. No late applications will be accepted.
We encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply. Hopelab is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, national origin, marital status, ancestry, gender identity, sexual orientation, or disability. All inquiries are held in strict confidence.