Equitable Design Fellow
Strategy & Design /
Fellowship (6 months)
Racism and inequity are products of design. They can be redesigned. - equityXdesign
At Hopelab, we’re united by our passion for improving the mental health and well-being of teens and young adults. We’re tackling some big challenges: from supporting young moms, to boosting the resilience of young cancer survivors, to reducing loneliness in college students, to affirming identity in LGBTQ+ teens, and more. We achieve these outcomes by creating tech solutions based on rigorous science, co-created with young people, and scaled through partnerships.
The Equitable Design Fellowship is a unique opportunity to evolve how design “shows up” as a partner and contributor to improving health equity. We seek to collaborate with a designer who is questioning traditional human-centered design methodologies and wanting to put into practice more equitable ways of creating change in the world. This fellowship is a unique opportunity to experiment with new approaches, in a collaborative and supportive space. While at Hopelab, you'll be given the space, resources, time, and access to our team to continue developing your point-of-view. At the end of your six months, you'll share your work to date and have the opportunity to publish it on Hopelab's website and other public spaces so it adds to our collective knowledge. We are particularly excited to support Fellows building with BIPOC and LGBTQ+ communities.
- The high-level goals of this Fellowship are to: (1) Provide the Fellow time, space and support to explore and evolve equitable design practices, and (2) Enable Hopelab staff to learn and benefit from Fellow’s insights and expertise as an design practitioner via recurring share outs about the Fellow’s work and progress
- The Fellowship begins in October and runs for six months
- The Fellow's primary point of contact at Hopelab will be the VP of Strategy & Design
- $50K stipend
- Access to our staff of designers and researchers, as well as our professional networks of leaders in the health care and social innovation spaces
Qualifications and Requirements
- You have an active and thoughtful design practice
- You are experienced in the design / innovation process, from design research to prototyping and scale, and are actively questioning that process
- You are pursuing an equitable design practice to improve the health of teens and young adults from BIPOC, LGBTQ+ and other underinvested communities
- Demonstrated design experience: you’ve designed and executed an initiative, product, or program
- Experience and commitment to collaboration and sharing practices
Overview of Fellow selection process
- Submit written application by August 11 @ 9AM PST
- Semi-finalists will be invited to submit a brief video proposal
- Final round zoom interview
What’s Required to Apply
- Resume or CV
- In 250 words per question, please tell us a bit about yourself and your interest by answering the following prompts: (1) Describe your design philosophy and your vision for the future. What might the synergy be between your focus and that of Hopelab? (2) Describe the audience that you will be working with and the issue that you would like to focus on. (3) Describe two experiments you’d like to try that push the boundaries of the design process.
- Please submit your application by 9AM PT on August 11
Note: This is a Fellowship opportunity, not an employment opportunity with Hopelab.