Chief of Staff
San Francisco, California /
Office of the President /
This is a full-time role with the opportunity to work from anywhere in the USA. Travel to SF Bay Area required.
Do your best work here.
Hopelab strives to help create a world in which young people, in particular BIPOC and LGBTQ+ teens and young adults, are thriving, free from barriers to their mental health and well-being. We take a systems approach by using our unique research and youth-centered design capabilities, our financial capital, and our networks to positively shift the systems impacting teen and young adult mental health. Hopelab does this through a model of impact investing; advisory services to investees, grantees, and other partner companies and organizations; and development of applied research to innovate in the fields of youth well-being, digital engagement and health equity.
The Position: Chief of Staff
The Chief of Staff is a strategic and operational partner to the CEO, supporting and leading wide-ranging, dynamic initiatives and ensuring effective communication across the organization. This requires a deeply strategic, collaborative, and execution-oriented mindset, with the capacity to develop trusted relationships with staff and a wide range of external partners. This is an excellent opportunity for an ambitious individual who has aspirations to one day lead an organization. As Chief of Staff to the CEO, you’ll be deeply involved in both the operational and strategic aspects of leading an organization as well as exposed to Hopelab’s broader network of leaders in impact investing, health care, and technology.
Hopelab is at an exciting inflection point in its history where we are evolving our strategy for impact and refocusing our efforts to support health equity for BIPOC and LGBTQ+ teens and young adults. The Chief of Staff has a meaningful opportunity to shape Hopelab’s strategic direction and make a significant positive impact on the mental health and well-being of teens and young adults across the country.
At its core, a successful Chief of Staff at Hopelab will:
- Support the CEO by working on and at times leading strategic and priority projects, along with engaging with outside partners and advisors that advance Hopelab’s mission and strategy
- Build a thorough understanding of all areas of the business - impact investment, research, design strategy, operations - to help determine priorities for how the CEO spends her time and increase overall organizational effectiveness
- Conduct research and analysis, presenting findings to the CEO that help her to make evidence-based decisions about resource allocation and other operational and strategic priorities for the organization
- Proactively develop agendas and materials for key meetings the CEO attends, including select leadership team meetings, support taking notes and tracking action items to ensure clarity and timely completion
- Build and maintain strong trust-based relationships across the organization to ensure effective collaboration across Hopelab’s internal teams and functions
- Act as a liaison for the CEO across Hopelab, including sitting in meetings for CEO and/or supporting better process and communications across Hopelab
- Provide leadership in internal communications, ensuring effective communication between and among the Board, CEO, leadership, and internal teams
- Develop and manage systems for tracking progress against high priority, organization-wide initiatives and goals to ensure transparency and accountability
- Project manage board meeting preparation and creation of board materials
- Support CEO in preparation for presentations, board meetings, media engagements (e.g. interviews, article submissions) and other external meetings
Required Education, Experience, and Skills
- Typically 7+ years of relevant professional experience in roles that involve stakeholder management and project management and execution (e.g. management consulting, foundation operations, corporate strategy)
- Interpersonal/collaboration skills to work cross-functionally and influence with partners, staff, and leaders
- Superb attention to detail, and ability to track, execute, and manage multiple work streams at once, including cross-functional projects
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills, experience related to strategic communications highly desired
- The ability to conduct analysis, summarize and present complex topics and insights effectively to diverse audiences
- Interested in exploring the fields of impact investment and youth mental well-being or can bring prior experience in one or both of these fields
- Experience and understanding of and network within the U.S. healthcare and/or education systems preferred
- Experience reporting directly to a senior leader or C-suite executive
Is this you? Please apply!
Salary range begins at $145,600 per year (this is an SF Bay Area rate, salary varies by location). We also offer generous benefits including health insurance, parental leave, employee wellness programs, and a 10% employer contribution to your 401K; all this plus the opportunity to work with amazing colleagues to create a more equitable world for young people.
We encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply. Hopelab is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, national origin, marital status, ancestry, gender identity, sexual orientation, or disability. All inquiries are held in strict confidence.