Activity Instructor, Senior Services - $1000 Sign-On Bonus!
San Jose, CA /
Senior Activity Program – Senior Center Team /
Hope Services is Silicon Valley’s leading provider of services to people with developmental disabilities and mental health needs. We serve approximately 3,500 people and their families in six counties and provide a broad spectrum of services. Hope Services seeks candidates who share our inspirations & aspirations. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity, equity, inclusion & belonging at all levels.
Hope Services is currently offering a $1000 sign-on bonus for a New Hire Activity Instructor for our Senior Services Program in San Jose!
Are you seeking fulfilling work that gives you the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of others? Do you believe in the integration of persons with disabilities into all aspects of community membership? Do you enjoy assisting others in the learning process? Then read on...
Hope Services is the Bay Area's largest non-profit agency, providing a wide array of quality services for persons with developmental disabilities for over 60 years! We are currently hiring Activity Instructors to provide support and leadership for clients to participate in our Senior Activity Program. At this time, the majority of these service our provided via a distance learning program.
Hope Services offers an OUTSTANDING benefits package, including Medical, Dental, Vision, 401(k) Retirement, Life Insurance, Tuition Reimbursement, Generous Paid Vacation and Sick Time accrual plans and more!
About the Activity Instructor role:
The Activity Instructor oversees area scheduling, ensuring programs and activities are maintained. Provide services to people with disabilities, which will enable each client to achieve an optimum level of functional independence and will assure referral to special services as required. May, as assigned, provide vocational skills training and/or instruction on activities of daily living. Assures quality of services provided, are consistent with HOPE’s mission and values.
Responsibilities of the Activity Instructor:
1. Acts as a program monitor for assigned clients including communicating with families, presenting staffings, providing guidance to clients regarding work and personal problems, development and implementation of client’s incentive plans, providing on-going feedback regarding progress in program.
2. Writes assessments and develops individual program and person centered plans.
3. Develop, implement, and maintain teaching curriculums. Assures training is age appropriate, meaningful, and based on client needs.
4. Provides training and supports in personal self care, including assisting with activities of daily living, feeding, transferring, and toileting.
5. Completes all required paperwork, reports and documentation to assure services to client, customer, and funders are met according to standards.
6. Develop and implement meaningful activities in the community, including providing transportation to and from activities.
7. Provide training and support in offsite vocational settings and/or recreational settings.
8. Assure compliance with all safety and confidentiality standards.
9. Operates machinery and large equipment as needed to support clients and assure completion of tasks.
10. Acts as a mandated abuse reporter.
11. Performs other duties as assigned to assure the efficiency of the program.
The Activity Instructor should possess a High School diploma, G.E.D. or equivalent, plus one year of related experience working with people with disabilities in a rehabilitation environment. For licensed day programs: completion and clearance of fingerprints for criminal background check, TB test, physician’s report, and First Aid and CPR certification required.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Ability to understand and relate to individuals with disabilities, their families, the community and HOPE personnel.
2. Ability to observe, evaluate, document and communicate verbally and in writing.
3. Ability to develop and use curriculum and instructional media
4. Ability to teach good work habits and social skills to individuals with developmental disabilities.
5. Ability to utilize community resources for client instruction, outings and referrals as needed.
6. Basic computer knowledge.
Physical & Environmental Conditions
Time spent in a classroom setting in an educational environment. Regular trips in to the local community, providing transportation, driving large vans. Exposure to weather conditions, dust and pollens. Handling of materials, paper and supplies. Some computer work. Regular support and handling of personal care needs of others, exposure to bodily fluids. Occasional lifting and transferring to and from wheelchairs.
Do you have what it takes to make a difference?
Inspire and be inspired! Hope Services takes immense pride in maximizing our employee engagement. Will you join us??
Visit www.hopeservices.org to find out more about us and the people we serve.
Hope Services is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees not regardless of, but with consideration and appreciation for race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex, age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family or parental status, or any other status.