Mental Health Clinician, Pre-Licensed
San Jose, CA /
Mental Health Services – Clinical Services Team /
Under clinical supervision provides assessment and diagnosis to clients with dual diagnosis, provides individual, group and family psychotherapy, prepares individual service and coordination plans, documents clinical outcomes and acts as an advocate.
The following responsibilities represent the essential functions of the position. An employee in this classification is responsible for carrying the following functions:
1. Provides individual, group and family therapy to persons with a developmental disability who are diagnosed with severe mental illness.
2. Utilize professional education and training to diagnose and treat the clients’ mental illnesses.
3. Provide psychotherapy to empower clients to identify and manager their psychiatric symptoms to enable them to be maximally functional in the larger community.
4. Constantly assess clients for potential harm to self, harm to others, or potential victimization and take appropriate measures to maintain safety. This includes, initiate involuntary hospitalizations when necessary to maintain safety.
5. Provide 24-hour on-call crisis intervention.
6. Use professional training and credential to advocate for clients with other agencies, educate other agencies to recognize and deal with the needs of clients who have a developmental disability and are diagnosed with a mental illness.
7. Develop relapse prevention strategies with clients and their support systems to prevent future psychiatric hospitalizations and loss of community placements.
8. Participate as an integral part of a multi-disciplinary team designed to maximally meet the psychiatric and psychological needs of clients.
9. Regularly attend training to update and keep current skills and maintain license.
10. Maintain appropriate treatment records and documentation as required.
11. Other duties as assigned to assure efficiency of the program.
Enrolled in a Masters or Doctoral degree program (MSW, MFT, PhD) that is eligible for licensure to provide psychotherapy by the Board of Behavioral Science Examiners, or the Board of Psychology.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1 Basic computer skills in work processing and spreadsheet application.
2. Ability to observe, evaluate, document and communicate verbally and in writing.
3. Ability to accept supervision and work cooperatively as a team member with co-workers as well as with the client and community resources.
4. Knowledge of disabilities and the biological, psychological and social models.
5. Ability to utilize critical thinking skills in decision making situations, good organizational and record keeping skills, and good independent judgment.
6. Knowledge of psychotherapy.
7. Knowledge and understanding of multidisciplinary team and family dynamics.
8. Ability to be flexible with scheduling and prioritization of tasks.
Physical & Environmental Conditions
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position primarily works in an office environment. Long periods of sitting. Some use of computer for record keeping, periods of intense concentration. Some travel to satellite locations, exposure to outdoor conditions.
Do you have what it takes to make a difference?
Inspire and be inspired! Hope Services takes immense pride in maximizing our employee engagement. Will you join us??
Winner, 100 Best Places to Work, Silicon Valley/San Jose Business Journal!
Visit www.hopeservices.org to find out more about us and the people we serve.
Hope Services provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected characteristic. In addition to federal law requirements, Hope Services complies with all applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.