San Jose, CA /
Retail Services – Retail Team /
Hope Services is Silicon Valley’s leading provider of services to people with developmental disabilities and mental health needs. We serve approximately 3,500 people and their families in six counties and provide a broad spectrum of services. Hope Services seeks candidates who share our inspirations & aspirations. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity, equity, inclusion & belonging at all levels.
Represents Hope Services at our retail thrift store and is responsible for greeting and assisting donors; unloading, perform initial quality assessment of merchandise, sort the merchandise and ensure that the donation receiving area operates efficiently. Provide support services by working with individuals with disabilities.
The following responsibilities represent the essential functions of the position. An employee in this classification is responsible for carrying out the following functions:
1) Greets donors in a courteous manner.
2) Unloads donations from vehicles, offers tax receipts, and maintains accurate daily donor counts.
3) Keeps the area observed by donors neat, clean, and well organized.
4) Pre-sorts donated goods and places items into the designated material handling equipment.
5) Transfer material handling equipment to the area to be sorted, graded, and hung.
6) Perform quality control, and dispose of unsellable merchandise according to store's disposal policies.
7) Place priced items on display, maintain neatness and cleanliness of displays.
8) Maintains acceptable attendance, personal hygiene, and dress code standards.
9) Works closely with store management and other associates to ensure donations reach the sales floor in a timely manner.
10) Cleans up all work areas at the end of each shift.
11) Demonstrates good works habits for employees and program participants, maintaining a positive attitude towards the operation of the entire facility, and is a positive role model for individuals receiving rehabilitation services.
12) Ensures all safety rules are adhered to. Reports accidents or injuries immediately.
13) Maintains a high level of confidentiality regarding Hope Services clients.
14) May perform other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma or Equivalent, plus experience working in a retail, thrift, or clothing store.
Reports To: Production Manager
Supervisory Responsibility: None
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1) Ability to make quick decisions regarding merchandise quality.
2) Ability to read, write and speak English (preferred) and have a basic math aptitude.
3) Ability to follow written or verbal instructions.
4) Must be able to work flexible hours.
5) Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, co-workers, customers, donors, and persons receiving services.
6) Ability to maintain a positive, friendly attitude and a neat, clean, and well-groomed appearance.
7) Ability to provide support services by working with people with developmental disabilities.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Constant physical activity, lifting, moving and sorting large loads of materials all day long. May be exposed to dirt and dust.
Do you have what it takes to make a difference?
Inspire and be inspired! Hope Services takes immense pride in maximizing our employee engagement. Will you join us??
Winner, 100 Best Places to Work, Silicon Valley/San Jose Business Journal!
Visit www.hopeservices.org to find out more about us and the people we serve.
Hope Services is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees not regardless of, but with consideration and appreciation for race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex, age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family or parental status, or any other status.