Site Reliability Engineer - Core Platform
United States /
Core Platform – Engineering /
• Deep expertise with GCP and/or AWS
• Experience monitoring services and infrastructure, log collection, analytics, and application performance monitoring (APM)
• Experience using and supporting gRPC, OpenAPI or other frameworks to facilitate micro-service development
• Experience running a mission critical service at scale
• Experience working with configuration, CICD and orchestration technologies (such as Kubernetes, Mesos, Ansible, etc)
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Strong background in Site Reliability Engineering, DevOps, Software Engineering or Systems Engineering
• Worked in Agile delivery teams and environment
• Experience creating automated solutions & eagerness to automate
• Excellent verbal and writing skills and the ability to use influence as effectively as direct control
• Fluency in least one modern programming language (Python, Go, Scala, etc)
• Demonstrated expertise securing public cloud accounts
• Working Knowledge of Terraform, Vault and other DevOps/Service tools
• Experience with managing hosted services/SaaS
• Experience mentoring and training other team members
About the job
As a Site Reliability Engineer, you will be focused on the availability, reliability and operational efficiency of Hopper's core production services in the Cloud. We're looking for passionate engineers that enjoy partnering with product development teams to build, deploy and maintain tools and software services for our mobile app customers and SAAS business partners. You will be asked to leverage your understanding of public cloud architecture applied to Hopper's software stack, to design and implement solutions that are secure, scalable and operationally sound. Are you ready to come help architect the future Hopper with us?
Qualifications and background
The perfect candidate will possess the ability to discuss complex technical concepts with a diverse audience across all areas of the organization. They will remain calm under pressure and always strive to add structure to high-pressure, fast paced tasks or projects.
- Collaborate with product development teams to build alignment between cloud, security and application architectures
- Drive solutions that improve our infrastructure capabilities, optimizing for security, cost, and operational simplicity
- Design, implement, and maintain the automation/services that seamlessly spans multiple data centers and cloud providers
- Work with cross organizational teams to develop best-in-breed solutions to complex problems
- Execute on big opportunities, helping Hopper rise to the top of the travel industry
- Participate in on-call rotation and travel as needed
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a 401k
About the team
Our engineering team cares deeply about the growth and success of Hopper, and tries to deliver the best possible experience we can to our more than 70 million users. Work on an award winning product that our customers love and continue to find exceptionally useful in a market and space that is continually growing every year.
MORE ABOUT HOPPER
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings.
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B, which is more than triple our valuation from early 2020.
- The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
- According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
- Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT. We are now the 3rd largest air travel agency in North America.
- The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually.
- Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
- Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com, and MakeMyTrip.
The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
And all this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!