Senior Data Scientist
United States /
Fintech – Data Science /
At Hopper, we’re on a mission to build the most customer-centric travel company on earth. We are leveraging the power that comes from combining massive amounts of data and machine learning to build the world’s fastest-growing mobile first travel marketplace -- one that enables our customers to save money and travel better.
Hopper’s goal is to reduce traveler anxiety throughout all stages of the trip buying and taking process. By creating a transparent travel marketplace and unique, data-driven financial technology products focused on providing peace-of-mind, Hopper adds value along each step of the customer’s journey.
Hopper has launched several bespoke fintech products that leverage our immense first and third-party data to create products and value that do not exist elsewhere - including Refundable and Flexible Tickets and Price Freeze. Thanks to these offerings, Hopper’s revenue growth is up 112% despite the travel slowdown due to COVID-19.
With over $250M CAD in funding from leading investors in both Canada and the US, Hopper is primed to continue its acceleration to becoming the world’s fastest-growing end-to-end customer-centric travel offering.
Recognized as one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company three years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 50 million times and sees over 1 million new installs per month. The app has received high praise in the form of mobile accolades such as the Webby Award for Best Travel App of 2019.
Come take off with us!
At Hopper, every dataset tells a story. Do you have what it takes to decipher the clues? bit.ly/2q6U8dq
We’re looking for a data-savvy individual to join our team as a Senior Data Scientist to drive data-centric product development and net revenue growth in collaboration with our PMs, product designers, and engineers.
You may be a great fit for our team if you are excited about exploring huge (and sometimes messy) data sets and finding effective ways to simplify and communicate the results to a non-technical audience.
Leveraging data science to solve customers’ problems is in Hopper’s DNA. While this began with helping customers plan and book travel more intelligently, we have extended our capabilities to ensure customers secure the best fares for their trips with unique product offerings like Price Freeze and Price Drop Protection. These product offerings currently make up almost half of Hopper’s revenue and have helped drive Hopper’s growth despite the travel slowdown due to COVID-19.
Customers that book with Hopper and use Price Drop Protection can be confident they won’t miss out on a lower price. We continue monitoring a customer’s trip for a lower price after booking and, if the price drops, offer them the difference back. Price Freeze lets customers that are not yet ready to book lock in great flight deals at a low cost for anywhere from 12 hours to 14 days. As a Senior Data Scientist on this team, you will run experiments to test the models you build by tapping into Hopper’s massive user base, and lead efforts to improve our pricing and risk modeling, among other goals.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:
- Frame and conduct complex exploratory analyses needed to deepen our understanding of our users. Partner with product, business and strategy teams to contribute to product improvements and initiatives
- Use machine learning and big data tools on tremendously large and complex data to deepen our data-driven advice and personalized modeling
- Conduct research into various aspects of our business and employ statistical and modeling techniques when appropriate to make recommendations to non-technical stakeholders
AN IDEAL CANDIDATE HAS:
- A degree in Math, Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering or other quantitative disciplines
- Extremely strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to communicate complex technical work to a non-technical audience
- A strong passion for and extensive experience in conducting empirical research and answering hard questions with data
- Experience with relational databases and SQL, especially Hive
- Experience working with extremely large data sets
- Experience in Pandas, R, SAS or other tools appropriate for large scale data preparation and analysis
- Experience with data mining, machine learning, statistical modeling tools and underlying algorithms
- Proficiency with Unix/Linux environments
• Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
• Dynamic and entrepreneurial team where pushing limits is everyday business
• 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
• Access to a 401k (US) or Retirement Savings Plan (Canada)