QA Automation Engineer
San Francisco, CA
Product Development – Technology
HotelTonight makes it remarkably easy to book great hotels at amazing rates for tonight, tomorrow and beyond. Our goal is to be the premiere and most loved way to book a place to stay, and we’re looking for a QA Automation Engineer to join the team and help do just that.
When you join HotelTonight, you’ll collaborate with engineers and other stakeholders on both a number of different automation initiatives as well as feature testing on our hotel and client facing products. This role is a unique opportunity to hone both your technical and testing domain skills.
Automation initiatives you may work with us on include desktop & mobile web, native app, extranet, and API automation. You'll help build and own powerful far-reaching automation across multiple products that allows our Engineering team to build and ship fast.
Feature development you may test on range across our web clients & extranet, our native mobile apps, and/or backend APIs or logic. You will guide testing across various consumer and internal products in order to ensure a high degree of quality for our users.
Both the specific automation and feature testing you work on will depend somewhat on your experience and what you’re passionate about. We're currently excited about building an automation framework and tools for our native mobile apps in 2019.
IN 1 MONTH, YOU WILL:
- Become familiar with how we work and develop products, our automation code base, and our architecture
- Manually test our apps to familiarize yourself with our core product
- Collaborate on our code review process
IN 3 MONTHS, YOU WILL:
- Help our team evaluate and select the right automation technology to build a robust automation framework for native mobile apps
- Work on your first automation project
- Work together with cross-functional teams to validate feature work
IN 12 MONTHS, YOU WILL:
- Have ownership of high-impact features from start to end, helping ship delightful product and consumer experiences
- Creatively design and develop innovative test strategies and tools to test specific components, features, and services, as well as their integration points
- Collaborate with QA and developers to find new automation technology to invest in, provide testing and architectural insights and come up with innovative solutions to help invest in the quality of our platform
- Triage and support issues you discover with automation and our platform
- Be a QA owner on your projects: build test plans, end-to-end testing, manual and automation, signoff
- Become the go-to person that others ask questions of when wanting to know about how our product works
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR IN YOU:
- Strong knowledge of automation testing tools and standards; experience building an automation framework from scratch a huge plus!
- Solid understanding of page object model and related concepts
- 2+ years experience with Ruby, Python, Java, APIs, JSON, JS, CI tool (ex: Jenkins)
- 3+ years experience working with complex systems and testing frontend or backend
- Extensive knowledge of functional and regression testing of web, mobile and/or backend environments and services
- You understand the importance of manual testing in automation to better understand the product
- Dependable, hands-on problem solver
- Detail-oriented but moves fast
- You are an excellent communicator (both verbal and written), are curious how things work (and break), love working as part of a team, and strive for continuous improvement
- Bachelor’s degree in CS or equivalent in work experience
WHAT YOU'LL GET FROM US:
- An official Best Place to Work as listed in the SF Business Times (2 years running!)
- A highly collaborative and supportive team environment that values asking the right questions, building solutions, and respecting everyone we work with
- We’ll help you create goals that drive you, take on projects that excite you, and learn things that will surprise you
- Great SF office location at Market & 5th St. (If you live out of the area, move here!)
- Excellent health, dental, vision and 401k plans, and stock options too
- Fun stuff - quarterly travel stipend, unlimited vacation, catered meals, subsidized cell phone plans and fitness memberships, access to our very own hotel-inspired full bar, and the opportunity to spin the HT Roulette wheel to win a spontaneous weekend getaway!
We are on a mission to radically transform hotel bookings. Doing this requires us to think differently and to question conventional approaches, therefore it’s essential to have a diverse team of the very best people with all types of backgrounds and experiences to bring the best ideas to life. We are committed to maintaining an environment where all of our team members have the opportunity to be heard, to make an impact and to do the best work of their lives.
For more information on how we process personal data, please refer to our Recruitment Privacy Notice