Engineering Manager, Hotels
San Francisco, CA
Product Development – Technology
HotelTonight makes it remarkably easy to book great hotels at amazing rates, for tonight, tomorrow and beyond. Our goal is to be the premier and most loved way to book a place to stay and we’re looking for an Engineering Manager on our Hotels team to help do just that.
You'll work on our hotel-facing products that allow our hotel partners to gain insights into their market and deliver great deals to our users. You know how to take ownership, move fast and hold yourself accountable. You are an excellent listener and can turn hotel feedback into the next great feature. You enjoy being a “full stack” manager and are just as capable at diving into the technical details as you are at making compelling strategic recommendations.
To accomplish all this, you'll have access to the best tooling and work with a best-in-class team made up of other Engineers, Designers and Product Managers. You will manage and guide a team of engineers to develop and maintain our hotels side of the business; making HotelTonight the favorite place for hotels to sell their rooms, all while keeping our solutions fast and our UX clean and simple.
We are on a mission to radically transform hotel bookings. Doing this requires us to think differently and to question conventional approaches, therefore it’s essential to have a diverse team of the very best people with all types of backgrounds and experiences to bring the best ideas to life. We are committed to maintaining an environment where all of our team members have the opportunity to be heard, to make an impact and to do the best work of their lives.
IN 1 MONTH, YOU WILL
- Become familiar with the current roadmap, our tech stack, and plans for our hotel-facing architecture
- Learn the ways of the HotelTonight codebase
- Begin managing a team of engineers working on our hotel-facing products
IN 3 MONTHS, YOU WILL
- Guide technical projects: from planning, through execution, coding & code reviews with multiple engineers, to testing and deployment into production
- Triage and debug functionality and performance issues on our hotel-facing products and distributed services
- Collaborate and help design the next hotel-facing products on our roadmap
- Have regular 1:1s with the engineers on your team to support them
IN 12 MONTHS, YOU WILL
- Become the go-to engineering person on our hotels platform
- Keep an eye on the platform and infrastructure on rotating pager duties, responding to issues promptly
- Partner with internal stakeholders across the business to continually evolve and make improvements to our hotel-facing products as our business grows
- Take ownership of high-impact features from start to end, shipping delightful products
- Mentor, build and grow your team of engineers through coaching and professional development
- Review and drive product requirements and help create technical specs for feature development
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR IN YOU
- 5+ years experience in software development with experience in Ruby or Python
- 3+ years of management experience including seeing projects from start to finish, project estimation, mentoring and project management skills
- Experience scaling and maintaining high-traffic, service-oriented production systems
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent
- Familiarity with major technologies from our stack or equivalent - Ruby, Rails, React, MySQL, ElasticSearch
- Excellent communication skills
- A hands on problem-solver who loves working as part of a team and strives for continuous improvement
- Nice to have: experience with Redis, AWS, PostgreSQL
WHAT YOU'LL GET FROM US
- A highly collaborative and supportive team environment that values asking the right questions, building solutions, and respecting everyone we work with
- We’ll help you create goals that drive you, take on projects that excite you, and learn things that will surprise you
- A beautiful workspace at Market & 5th St
- Excellent health, dental, vision and 401k plans, and stock options too
- Fun stuff — quarterly travel stipend, flexible time off, catered meals, subsidized cell phone plans and fitness memberships, access to our very own hotel-inspired full bar, and the opportunity to spin the HT Roulette wheel to win a spontaneous weekend getaway!
For more information on how we process personal data, please refer to our Recruitment Privacy Notice