San Francisco, CA
Data & Strategy – Data & Strategy
HotelTonight makes it remarkably easy to book great hotels at amazing rates, for tonight, tomorrow and beyond. Our goal is to be the premier and most loved way to book a place to stay and we’re looking for a Data Engineer to do just that.
In this Data Engineering role, you will hold the keys to the infrastructure that powers the way that HotelTonight thrives on data. By leveraging the latest technologies to tap into our firehose of data, your systems will open up new paths for analysis and discovery, and give our users the ability to create incredible travel experiences for themselves.
Your attention to detail and ability to lock down the fundamentals will provide you with the strong foundation to excel in this role, and give you the ability to anticipate the needs of the company and our users. You will leverage this foundation to design and implement innovative solutions to our hardest data problems, and ensure their quality and effectiveness with robust verification processes.
Check out this article to learn more about a project one of our Data Engineers worked on recently!
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU WILL
- Get the full picture of our data warehouse (Snowflake), event processing infrastructure (Spark, Alooma & AWS ), ETL scheduler (Airflow), and monitoring and alerting systems
- Understand the datasets and integrations that power the advanced analysis and customer-facing products that the Data & Strategy team is responsible for
- Understand how HotelTonight uses data to make critical decisions across the organization
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU WILL
- Build out new data sets that address shortcomings in our data model
- Make connections within the company to understand how we use the data, and where the pain points are
- Collaborate on a roadmap that establishes a vision and plan for taking our data to the next level
WITHIN 12 MONTHS, YOU WILL
- Build, monitor and maintain data products to delight our users and hotel partners
- Become an evangelist for our data, both within the company and also in the larger data engineering community
- Understand and drive how HotelTonight should use data as an asset to improve the user experience
COMPONENTS YOU MAY WORK ON
- Personal information privacy protection in cloud-based data stores
- High throughput data delivery pipelines and data hub platform
- Performant, low latency customer/hotel partner match system
- Reporting and forecasting system
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR IN YOU
- 2-5 years experience in software engineering
- Experience with programming languages like Python (preferred), Java, Scala, etc
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Analytics, Mathematics or other quantitative field
- Schema management - modeling real-world data in both RDBMS and NoSQL
- Data Management - experience with working with large volumes of data using SQL/Hive efficiently
- Curiosity - you enjoy staying on top of industry trends and testing their applications
- Detail-oriented - you have a high attention to detail in planning, development, testing, and deployment
- Strong communication - you have experience working with a wide range of stakeholders (for example, executive, product, and design) to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs
- Healthy skepticism - you possess a growing technical vision but understand when tradeoffs need to be made for business reasons
- Empathy - for our customers, hotel partners, and fellow employees
WHAT YOU'LL GET FROM US
- A highly collaborative and supportive team environment that isn't afraid to take risks, and we encourage you let go of the fear of failure and give that crazy but brilliant idea a shot
- We’ll help you create goals that drive you, take on projects that excite you, and learn things that will surprise you
- A beautiful workspace at Market & 5th St
- Excellent health, dental, vision and 401k plans, and stock options too
- Fun stuff — quarterly travel stipend, flexible time off, catered meals, subsidized cell phone plans and fitness memberships, access to our very own hotel-inspired full bar, and the opportunity to spin the HT Roulette wheel to win a spontaneous weekend getaway!
We are on a mission to radically transform hotel bookings. Doing this requires us to think differently and to question conventional approaches, therefore it’s essential to have a diverse team of the very best people with all types of backgrounds and experiences to bring the best ideas to life. We are committed to maintaining an environment where all of our team members have the opportunity to be heard, to make an impact and to do the best work of their lives.
For more information on how we process personal data, please refer to our Recruitment Privacy Notice