Engineering Manager - Web
DTCI – Disney+ /
Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) brings together the Company’s best-in-class product, technology, and commercialization teams together into one global organization. DMED is responsible for the P&L management and all distribution, network and engineering operations, sales, advertising, data, and certain key technology functions worldwide for the Company’s content engines. DMED also manages operations of the Company’s streaming services including Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+ and Disney+ Hotstar; and domestic broadcast and cable television networks.
Disney+ Hotstar is leading the way as the largest and smartest video platform in the country, reaching over 300 million users today. We have set a number of world records along the way - including for the highest concurrent viewership at 25.3 million during the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019. Disney+ Hotstar today is the one-stop destination for all your entertainment needs - from Live Sports, Indian and International Shows and Movies to all Disney content, including Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and Disney+ Originals. We’re looking for the brightest minds to build the future of TV with us.
About the Team
We are striving to create the best video content destination for our consumers on a varied set of devices, from phones to tablets, including devices coming out with the bleeding edge of technology. Our engineering team is looking for solid rockstar web leader who will define the future architecture of our platform, providing technical and product expertise, mentor and guide developers. Come and be a part of our high-performance web team which is heavily focused on delivering an unmatchable user delight!
The pace of our growth is incredible – if you want to tackle hard and interesting problems at scale, and create an impact within an entrepreneurial environment, join us!
Your Key Responsibilities
- Responsible for the overall software development life cycle.
- Management and execution against project plans and delivery commitments
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the engineering team within an Agile/Scrum environment.
- Management of departmental resources, staffing, mentoring, enhancing and maintaining a best-of-class engineering team.
- You will be responsible to architect solutions using innovative technology ideas and industry-leading methodologies.
- Lead from the front and architect the web application to be modular and use best practices to enable rapid iteration.
- Work closely with Product Management and other engineering leaders in a cross-functional capacity.
- You will provide feedback to both designers and developers on technical feasibility, speed and optimization, and possible alternatives to difficult interactions or animations.
- You will be responsible to mentor geographically distributed teams.
- Provide thought leadership to the team around new technologies, processes and approaches.
- Work closely with the engineers to architect and develop the best technical design and approach.
- Contribute substantially to innovation and overcome technology limitations to deliver on customer experience.
- You will continuously evaluate relevant technologies, influence and drive architecture and design discussions
- Report on the status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management.
What to Bring
- Bachelor's or Master’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
- 5+ years of experience designing and developing complex, interactive consumer applications
- Must have experience as a web development lead with at least 3+ years as a leader.
- Highly enthusiastic and enjoy learning new technologies and frameworks.
- You know why a framework is necessary and know any of React, AngularJS, SailJS etc.
- Open source contribution is a plus.
- Familiarity with front-end build tools, such as Grunt or Gulp.
- Ability to break down complex problems into simple, innovative solutions that serve the business need
- A knack for problem-solving and ability to work in ambiguity
- A strong track record of project delivery for large, cross-functional, projects and bringing in and growing engineering talent
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences.
- An entrepreneurial spirit combined with strong program and product management skills
- High adaptability in a dynamic start-up environment
- Bias for Action
- Radical Candour
- The glory. Almost too much responsibility.
- No dress code. Unlimited leave.
- A fun-life balance.
- A ticket on our rocket ship to the moon. 🚀
Who we are as an employer
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
Who we are as a company
We’re Disney+ Hotstar. The go-to destination for over 300 million users for everything from Live Sports, Indian and International Shows and Movies to all Disney content, including Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and Disney+ originals. Our mission is to revolutionize internet entertainment through smart personalization, and by building a global video platform that takes over the world wide web and the whole wide world.
To learn more about our team, check out the following blogs : https://tech.hotstar.com/