Software Engineer, CDN Infrastructure
Mumbai / Bangalore/ Gurugram
1. Engineering – Video
About the Role
At Hotstar, we have over 300 million users and capture close to a billion click-stream messages daily. The engineering team at Hotstar is at the centre of the action and is responsible for creating unmatched user experience. Our engineers solve real life complex problems and create compelling experiences for our customers.
Hotstar Traffic team is seeking experienced software engineers to build traffic systems for delivering petabytes of data everyday.
Our Traffic team builds global and local load balancers, acceleration proxies and content delivery networks, plus the automation machinery that’s required to operate an internet scale edge network and handle all of Hotstar video traffic. We intend to build a large network of edge clusters to accelerate site traffic and cache CDN content, and we will own all layer 4 and layer 7 traffic management for Hotstar. Delivering the bits at petabyte scale for 100’s of million clients is the scale we are talking about here.
The pace of our growth is incredible – if you want to tackle hard and interesting problems at scale, and create an impact within an entrepreneurial environment, join us!
Your Key Responsibilities
- Develop video delivery stacks to run on varied devices and servers
- Implement and integrate next generation protocols like HTTP2 and QUIC
- Collaborate with Network Engineering team to design and build our next generation edge network
- Design load balancing software to optimize traffic flow between data centers and POPs
- Analyze and improve efficiency, scalability, and stability of network infrastructure and rich telemetry data
- Make Hotstar fast and keep the site up
- Conduct design and code reviews
What to Bring
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related field (or equivalent experience)
- 2+ years of experience in HTTP, SSL, TCP, C++, Java, Linux
- 2+ years of experience developing and debugging system level services in C, C++, Python, or Java, particularly on Linux
- 2+ years of experience with one or more of: telemetry data, filesystems, concurrency, multithreading, server architectures, distributed systems
- Experience replacing network hardware devices with software services
- Experience developing and debugging networking protocols (HTTP, SSL, QUIC, SPDY, and TCP)
Nice to have
- Experience with video systems and/or streaming specifications, such as ISO/IEC 13818-1 (MPEG Transport and Program Streams), ISO/IEC 14496-12 (ISO base media file format), Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP (MPEG-DASH), or Common Media Application Format (CMAF).
- Understanding of video compression and processing, including coding standards such as H.264/AVC, HEVC, VP9 and AV1.
To learn more about our team , check out the following articles :