Senior Research Lead in Advertising
1. Engineering – Ad Tech
About the Role
Hotstar is challenging the old media buying practices by altering the digital advertising landscape completely. We are building a platform that would help our marketeers use our 300M+ user base to effectively reach out totheir potential customers. We are building better ad targeting capabilities powered by our current state-of-art Machine Learning algorithms. We are looking for engineers who have demonstrated excellence in terms of both delivery and scalability.
We're looking for a senior research lead in advertising who is comfortable working with multiple languages, frameworks, platforms and excited to participate in cutting-edge applied research in machine intelligence and data analytics. As a senior research lead, you’ll be responsible for leading ads research team to formulate industrial problems into research questions and thus perform research to innovate solutions for ads targeting and delivery. If you’re excited to work with a group of professional and experienced machine learning researchers to build the machine intelligence to support high-performance, high-availability, scalable services, this is likely the team for you.
The pace of our growth is incredible – if you want to tackle hard and interesting problems at scale, and create an impact within an entrepreneurial environment, join us!
Your key responsibilities
- Build and lead the ads research team to play a crucial role in advertising business and technology.
- Direct the team to the mainstream ads technology and business with vision.
- Key contributor of continuous improvements in the quality of the ads targeting and ads delivery.
- Tack both industry and academic research trends in related areas, including but not limited to, ad targeting and delivery, machine learning and distributed computation.
- Participate in ad projects planning with product managers and the team based on data-driven investigation methods and industry trends.
- Propose, design and build systems that combine machine learning and product design to continuously improve over time.
- Identify key factors, design and develop prototype, proof of concept, and demo systems to improve performance for current algorithms.
- Partner closely with other product teams across the organization to experiment with different algorithms and validate their effectiveness, while gaining knowledge of how ML works in all these products.
- 3+ years industry experience of practical algorithm design and implementation in ads or machine learning related fields.
- 1+ year team management experience.
- Strong mathematics, computer and machine learning background.
- Extensive knowledge and hands-on experiences in big data processing and parallel computing frameworks such as Hadoop and Spark.
- Logical thinker with strong problem solving and analytical ability to apply your mathematical, algorithmic and other expertise to solve real problems.
- Ability to master new technology in short time and apply to solve practical problems.
- Passion for applied research and new technology, open to interdisciplinary work.
- Participated in at least 2 team projects and played an important role to drive the projects thru completion.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Good managing skills to grow and lead the team working collaboratively and effectively.
Reasons to be Excited
- We're a small unique team that has strong experience building and innovating in video at places like Hotstar, Hulu, Google, Amazon and Facebook.
- We have an unusually dedicated team whose passion and focus is in media and technology.
- The team works on a variety of platforms, services and devices tackling interesting engineering, product and design challenges.
- We're located nearby Tsinghua Science Park, the heart of China’s Silicon Valley with all of its great food, just a few minutes walk to Wudaokou or Zhongguancun Subway Station and easy access to the North 4th Ring Road, G6 and G7.
We're big believers in trusting the team to debate and select the right tools for the job. This belief leads to a development team that is excited by and comfortable with building in a variety of languages, frameworks and platforms. Here's a short list of some of the current technology and tools we use to fuel the team.
- Platforms: AWS, Docker, Kubernetes
- Clients: iOS, Android, FireTV, AppleTV, Roku, Chromecast
- Languages: ES6, Python, Objective-C, Swift, Java, Scala, Kotlin, Go, Erlang
- Frameworks: Node.js, Angular, React, React Native, gRPC, Spring, Spark, Hystrix, Consul, Flink, Kafka, ElasticSearch, Tensorflow
- Databases: MySQL, PostgreSQL, Redis, DynamoDB, HBase, influxdb, Prometheus, Aerospike
- Tools: GitLab, GoCD, Airflow, Ansible, Terraform, Jenkins, Slack, Google Apps We believe in owning and building our core services and technologies
With that, we recognise that we must be armed with a team that includes both full stack and specialised developers. Here’s a few of the experiences we’re looking for on our dev team:
- Full stack responsive web development.
- Device platforms and hybrid applications development.
- Architect and implement services handling thousands of requests per second.
- Design and implement software to automate, scale and streamline dev operations.
- Contribute back to the open source community in meaningful ways.