Houseparty connects people in the most human way possible when physically apart.
We are passionate about communication. As technology evolves, it is increasingly possible to enjoy meaningful social experiences - beyond a feed - with friends and family, regardless of physical distance.
Social interactions are incredibly diverse in nature, and we’re building a virtual space that works for all of them. By doing so, we empower people to have more frequent conversations with those they care about, build meaningful relationships, and have fun together.
Backend at Houseparty
At Houseparty, we provide a group video chat application built around presence. We care deeply about ensuring a seamless, top quality multimedia experience for every one of our users.
We also provide a fundamentally new type of product, and are vigorously experimental in turning our application into the best possible version of itself.
As a backend engineer at Houseparty, you can expect to work with a small team across these challenges. This includes everything from scaling our application to support product growth, to writing complex business logic that enables new product features.
Here are some things we look for:
- A passion for server-side engineering, high-quality code, and building something meaningful
- Experience with Scala or other systems languages (eg Go, C++, and especially other JVM languages)
- Ditto for functional languages (Haskell, Clojure, etc)
- Experience with distributed systems at scale, concurrency/multithreading, and realtime messaging
- A data-conscious, iterative approach to debugging, problem-solving, and development in general
- A strong grasp of computer science fundamentals
- 3+ years backend experience
What to include with your application:
- Links to any online profiles (Github, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc)
- A description of your professional experience (resume, LinkedIn profile, cover letter, or similar)
Houseparty is a product for everyone, and we are proud to reflect that internally. We value an inclusive workplace, where people enjoy helping one another grow and accomplish goals.
From project management to team structure, we are cross-functional by design. Backend engineers frequently collaborate with the Design team on UX concepts, contribute ideas to the product roadmap, and develop testable theories about user behaviors and interests. We believe that these practices promote transparency and well-roundedness.
If our passion for crafting a better way to share time resonates with you, then we would love to review your application.