Houseparty’s mission is to connect people in the most human way possible when they are physically apart. We believe that our greatest opportunity to improve people’s lives is to reinvent how we communicate. Houseparty empowers people to have more frequent conversations with the people they care about most, meet new friends, and have fun together.
Given Houseparty’s extraordinary growth, our backend team faces a variety of challenges ranging from API development to platform engineering. If you want to start fast and take on problems like these with a high degree of independence, then we want to talk to you.
You'll write server-side code for the Houseparty application, such as:
- API development at scale
- Internal platform engineering
- Designing and developing various features and subsystems based on your experience and interests
- Collaborating with the company leadership and the entire product team to define, design, and ship new features
- Have an interest or experience with Scala, or equivalent with other systems languages (eg Go, C++, and especially other JVM languages)
- Ditto with functional languages (eg Haskell, Clojure, etc)
- Have experience with distributed systems at scale (10k requests/second and up)
- Have dealt with concurrency / multithreading in the past
- Have experience with real-time messaging
- Have a demonstrable history of taking initiative
- Have a creative, open approach to debugging and problem-solving
- Have a data-conscious approach to development in general
- Understand CS fundamentals at a BS level (algorithms, data structures, etc)
- Be committed to standard engineering methodologies, including automated testing and continuous integration
- Be skilled with data modeling and application design
- Be an excellent written and verbal communicator
- Be willing to take on diverse challenges without fear of failure
- Be passionate about crafting the future of digital communication
- Be a social person. We are a social app, we like social people.