Palo Alto, CA, US
Data & Analytics – Data & Analytics
Houzz is the leading home renovation and design platform in the world. We have a highly engaged community of more than 40 million unique monthly users who leverage our technologies to find inspiration for their next home project, connect with over 2.1 million home design and remodeling professionals and discover products in the Houzz Shop.
About the Team
Houzz’s Economic Research team combines extensive internal and external data to answer interesting questions about the home design, building, and remodeling markets in the U.S. and internationally. We produce research content, build new products and work with journalists and industry stakeholders to engage, educate, and inform millions of people worldwide. If you have a passion for data analysis and storytelling, then welcome to Houzz.
About the Role
Houzz is seeking an experienced Economist to join our growing research team. If you are creative and curious, have a knack for unearthing trends and insights from datasets large or small, and love telling stories through data, we want to hear from you.
In this role, you will use your experience with data, statistics, knowledge of economics and housing to conduct original research, write stories and create data products for a broad audience of homeowners, business groups, and media. You will work in an informal, collaborative atmosphere directly with Houzz’ Principal Economist, as well as with teams of researchers, engineers, designers, marketing specialist, communications managers, and writers. Additionally, you will help develop and manage research collaborations with academics, industry stakeholders and other external parties.
What You'll Do
- Apply economic theory, econometric methods and data analysis techniques to inform economic issues and trends
- Leverage internal and external data sources for analysis, modeling and visualizations (including for gathering, analyzing and visualizing your own data)
- Guide data collection efforts and identify opportunities for new data generation
- Create topical narratives, reports and white papers
- Contribute to research on quantifying Houzz’s growing impact and relevance
At a Minimum, We'd Like You to Have
- A graduate degree in Economics, Statistics or other quantitative field
- Knowledge of econometrics and multivariate statistics and record of applying these skills
- Experience with data science tools such as R, SQL, and/or Python
- Demonstrated research ability, including the conceptualization and execution of original research topics, writing and explaining research motives and conclusions to expert and non-technical audiences
- A knack for visualizing data in innovative and compelling formats
- A detail-oriented and analytical mindset, with emphasis on accuracy
- Creativity, curiosity and fascination with data and trends they reveal
Ideally, You'll Also Have
- Ph.D. in Economics, Statistics or other quantitative field
- Expertise in housing research
- Knowledge of Tableau
- Passion for home design, building and remodeling
- Experience with creating, fielding and analyzing complex surveys
Be Who You Are and Do What You Love at Houzz
We’re a Family
At Houzz, we strive to create and foster a strong family environment in our workplace. We collaborate to accomplish our goals, always working as a team. We aim to build a culture of inclusion — celebrating and leveraging our differences for the betterment of one another, our products and our community.
Houzz team members come from many backgrounds and bring diverse experiences to the company. We take pride in making each person feel at home.
We Build the Future
Join Houzz in revolutionizing the home remodeling and design industry and have an impact on the more than 40 million homeowners who use our platform every month and the 2.1 million-plus home professionals around the world who are active on the site. Houzz has been named one of the most innovative companies in the world by CNBC and others, and is backed by top venture capitalists. At Houzz, you can help drive the future of an industry worth $1.2 trillion in the U.S. and Europe alone.
We Make Things Happen
Our team members play a key role in guiding the direction of our company and are able to work across multiple groups to implement fresh ideas that allow Houzz to be the industry leader. If you are interested in applying your passion to create products that will transform the lives of millions of people who are designing, remodeling and decorating their homes, welcome to Houzz.
Benefits and Perks
-Flexible paid time off
-Medical, dental, vision and pet insurance
-Employee assistance program
-401k retirement savings plan
-Maternity/paternity leave program
-Flexible spending accounts
-Healthy at Houzz program
-Catered meals, fully stocked kitchens and much more!
Houzz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.