Mortgage Quality Control Underwriter
Huntsville, AL /
Operations – Quality Control /
Who We Are:
Hometown Lenders, Inc. is a fully integrated, multi-channel mortgage lender. We are a closely-knit, professional organization committed to providing the highest level of customer service through highly experienced loan consultants utilizing the most innovative technology available.
We're looking for key candidates to grow with us as a Quality Control Underwriter. The perfect candidate for this role will have a growth mindset, and be excited to take on new opportunities!
As a Mortgage Quality Control Underwriter you will underwrite residential loans, ensuring compliance with appropriate company and secondary market investor standards.
Working for accuracy and completeness in each file is paramount in this role. Will be working with loan originators or production staff to secure all required documents.
Essential Job Functions:
- As an underwriter you will be responsible for but not limited to the underwriting of residential loans ensuring compliance with appropriate company and secondary market investors.
- A Mortgage Underwriter will be responsible for examining loan documentations for accuracy and completeness while working with loan originators or production staff to secure all required document.
- You may be required to work with more senior mortgage underwriters on loan exceptions having the authority to withdraw and decline loans.
- Mortgage Underwriters may be involved in one or several types of mortgage lending (conventional, government-backed, etc.)
- You may also be required to respond directly to individual and investor audits.
- This job code includes all levels of underwriting authority and exception levels.
- Review loan documents for accuracy and consistency and address discrepancies as necessary. Required Skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Previous experience as a Mortgage Underwriter
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Must have excellent problem-solving skills
- Thorough understanding of credit and an ability to review complex financial documents
- Ability to assess an individual's creditworthiness while adhering to all regulatory and compliance requirements
- Ability to make credit recommendations
- Commitment to teamwork
- Ability to meet production, quality and service standards along with providing direct coaching and feedback to ensure quality
- At least 3+ years of recent experience in conventional and government underwriting and/or Quality Assurance experience within the mortgage banking industry
- They must be able to assess the information obtained and determine if it validates the information used to qualify the borrower at the time of the loan approval
- Underwriting certifications, preferred, not required.
- The employee must be able to work independently producing results in a timely manner
- Proficient with conventional and government underwriting guidelines for agencies
- In-depth knowledge of all federal, state and local compliance regulations: Truth in Lending, Equal Credit Opportunity laws, CFPB, REG Z, REG B and REG X
- Strong familiarity with the total closing function: underwriting condition to closing, closing instructions, closing procedures, and TRID
- Working knowledge of AUS systems, including Loan Prospector and Desktop Underwriter
- Experience with Encompass
- Must have manual, as well as automated, underwriting experience
- At least an Intermediate level user of Microsoft Office Suite, with an emphasis on Word and Excel
- Strong written communication skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and prioritize workloads
- College Degree or equivalent work-related experience, and High School Diploma/GED
- Position Type and Expected Hours of Work: This is a full-time position. Employees are expected to work 40 hours per week. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday.
What We Offer You!
Health, Vision, and Dental insurance available.
Company matched 401(k) retirement savings plan
Paid Time Off Days!
Hometown Lenders, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.