Developer Productivity Engineer
San Francisco, CA /
Who We Are
Humane is a team of proven industry experts who have invented, built, and shipped category-defining hardware and software products to billions of people across the globe. We're known for building the audacious, ambitious, and the impossible, and we're doing it again. Our vision for the next shift between humans and computing requires innovation across multiple emerging technologies in hardware and software, from devices to cloud services.
About The Role
The creative process is nourished by rapid iteration. Core to the Services organization’s mission is maximizing Humane’s velocity so invention can flourish. Especially critical is empowering our software engineers to move fast and safely at the same time. The Developer Productivity Engineering (DPE) team builds and operates systems and software that allow our developers to focus on their code and move their work quickly and with confidence from initial development through production release. Our developer ranks are growing rapidly and DPE’s work also focuses on enabling new members to be immediately productive.
What You Might Do
- Design, build, and maintain build systems and core infrastructure used across Humane
- Build and maintain a great experience for people using your infrastructure
- Debug production issues across services, devices, and levels of the stack
- Design tools and automate build, test, and release processes
- Drive adoption of best practices in code health, testing, and maintainability
- Host proprietary versions of large open source projects like Android
- Automate software build and test to continuously present test metrics and surface regressions
- Create and maintain infrastructure to support a scaling team to collaborate on many interconnected projects
- Analyze complex software problems and help the team design systems to be more testable
Skills We Seek
- Familiarity with Java build systems such as Gradle, bonus for wrangling Android packaging
- Experience packaging and shipping device software with OTA updates in particular
- Experience with bazel and/or testing large AI models with sensor input and non-determinism
- Develop cutting edge technologies in a creative and innovative environment
- Imagine new opportunities in areas that matter and will impact the world you live in
- Headquarters in San Francisco - within walking distance to Bart, Muni and CalTrain
- Be a part of a high performing team of the world’s best innovators and executors
- Receive excellent medical, dental and vision benefits, equity ownership in Humane and competitive salaries
- Flexible work arrangements to support you in working in the way that you work best
- Grow your career and do the best work of your life
At Humane, diversity is important to us.
Humane is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit and business needs. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion (including, but not necessarily limited to, religious creed, dress, and grooming practices), citizenship, marital status, age, national origin, place of birth, height, weight, ancestry, mental or physical disability, genetic information, medical condition, U.S. (state and federal) military and veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, sex, gender, pregnancy (including childbirth or related medical condition), or any other characteristics protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws (“protected characteristics” or “protected categories”). Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and ordinances, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. At Humane, building a healthy and safe workplace is core to our mission. We prohibit harassment of any kind.