Senior Software Engineer - Remote
Software Engineering /
As a Software Engineer, you don’t always get the opportunity to research, explore, and implement new tools or technologies, but what if that was the majority of your job?
We are looking for a tenured Senior Software Engineer who thrives in ambiguity and is self-directed to join our Platform squad with the main focus of improving the developer’s experience.
As a Senior Software Engineer in our Platform squad, you will be an integral part of the engineering team, and be in a position to help introduce new frameworks, tools, and architecture to build capacity within the platform as we scale and empower product Software Engineers to have a better experience when building and shipping new features.
Who are we?
Humi’s mission is to help organizations throughout Canada foster their greatest asset – their employees. Starting with a powerful yet intuitive HR, payroll, benefits, and insurance platform, Humi has established a leadership position as the only company addressing all of these needs in one place. With a potential reach spanning every business in Canada, and a platform that touches every employee at every business that uses it, Humi is reimagining the future of work.
Humi is backed by the same group who funded Slack, Carta, and more (Tribe Capital), the top value-based U.S. accelerator (Y-Combinator), as well as several of the world’s leading angel investors.
We’re hiring across Canada and are open to applicants who prefer to work remotely!
We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse workforce, representative of the communities we serve and beyond. We encourage and are pleased to consider, applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized persons/persons of colour, women, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ+ persons, and others who contribute towards promoting innovative ideas and solutions.
What will you do as a Senior Software Engineer?
From day one, you will be working with a squad consisting of seasoned Software Engineers; and collaborating along with various technical teams within Humi to deliver on new capabilities, tooling, and exciting initiatives.
As a Senior Software Engineer within the team, you will help us scale, and mentor the junior members of the team. Your work will have a direct impact on building a world-class all-in-one HR platform.
In your first 30 days, you will focus on learning:
- Participate in Humi’s immersive onboarding program to learn about all aspects of the business while meeting with cross-functional collaborators
- Work with your manager to build out tailored goals and an education plan in place to set you in the right direction for the upcoming quarter
- Deep dive on your squad's problem space and start becoming familiar with the many areas that compose the Humi architecture
In your first 60 days, you will focus on collaborating:
- Take full ownership of new capabilities and tooling within the Platform technology roadmap
- Help more intermediate developers within code design and decision making
- Contribute to the Engineering team's culture, processes, and best practices
In your first 90 days, you will take initiative:
- Start assuming more autonomy and finding small ways to practice ownership across the platform
- Work closely with your manager to explore goals for the rest of the year
- Deep dive on other parts of the application outside of the squad's main responsibilities
What are we looking for in a Senior Software Engineer?
- +4 years of industry experience working with Laravel, Ruby on Rails or other similar MVC frameworks
- Desire to work on improving the existing architecture and building new capabilities for the product engineering team
- Experience building and defining complex architecture
- Extensive experience with technical scoping
- The ability to work in ambiguity and drive projects forward with urgency
- The ability to identify, investigate, and bring best practices, techniques, and technologies to the table
- Excellent communication skills: you must be able to collaborate effectively with teams in a fully-remote environment and discuss complex topics with technical and non-technical audiences verbally and in writing
- A desire to help our team continuously improve
- A passion for building engaging user experiences for developers
- Fast-growing startup with competitive benefits and stock option plan
- Dynamic and entrepreneurial team building the next generation of HR, payroll, benefits, and insurance platform
- Additional health and wellness programs include a health spending account, an employee assistance program with counseling and coaching through Inkblot
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
Why Join Humi?
- As a team that services the HR world, we are a team that understands you perform best in an environment that cares about their employees
- Be part of a high performing team of critical thinkers that thrive on problem solving
- Access leadership and growth opportunities as the company rapidly scales
- Maintain work-life engagement with flex hours and our Long(er) weekends initiative
- Opportunity to work fully remote across Canada if you choose to
Let’s do this! We can’t wait to hear from you.