Head of Design
San Francisco, CA /
Hummingbird’s mission is to fight financial crime. Our platform helps financial institutions manage their anti-money laundering and counter-terrorist financing operations. Our work helps fight terrible crimes like human trafficking, political corruption, weapons sales, and drug cartels.
We are a customer-obsessed team. We love building and shipping great products. Our customers are financial crime fighters who are often drowning in paperwork and bureaucracy. We set a high bar for our work, and expect you to do the same. We challenge our assumptions, seek diverse opinions, and support each other to do great work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
As an early member of the Hummingbird team, you will make a tremendous impact on the product, the brand, and the culture of our growing company. This industry has neglected design. People working in anti-money laundering roles are often overlooked and under-appreciated. You will have the opportunity to create a brand and products that remind people that they are superheros doing important work – they’re fighting financial crime.
You will join our small, passionate team as an individual contributor and report directly to the CEO / Head of Product. As our team grows, you will have advancement opportunities in both management and individual roles.
What you're looking to do:
- Bring elegant design to an industry previously untouched by it.
- Work in a fun, comfortable environment where you can pursue major design projects from start to finish.
- Join a team that loves great design and cares about the details.
- Work directly with customers to understand their needs and design solutions.
- Lend your thoughts and ideas at every stage in the product lifecycle.
- Design new product features, from research to wireframe to final designs.
What we're looking for:
- A diverse portfolio that showcases 5-6+ years of work in web app design.
- You sail through ambiguity and like discussing product ideas.
- Customer obsession. Your guiding light is user happiness, and you use empathy and research to understand what will make customers happy.
- You take your work from sketches to wireframes to polished comps with final assets.
- Fluency with design tools such as Sketch, Figma, InVision, Adobe Creative Suite – you will inform the design technology stack we use.
- A love of prototyping different solutions to a problem and testing with users.
- Attention to detail. You love generating design specs, and will push the team to implement designs with a high degree of polish.
- Product design is your wheelhouse, but you enjoy dipping into marketing / comms design when needed.
- Ability to seek out amazing design freelancers, guide their work, and bring it all back together to complete projects.
- You show your work. You are comfortable kicking around half-baked ideas and receiving feedback from team members who are not designers.
- Nothing is precious. You love the process and the iteration. You’re not married to specific ideas or solutions, and regularly throw out work.
- You constantly ask yourself what your top priorities are and if you’re supporting the overall goals of the company. When things are not certain, you’re not shy about asking for help.
Icing on the cake:
- Data visualization experience. You’re not afraid of numbers and Excel.
- Experience building a team and leading the work of others.
- Proficiency in frontend technologies (HTML / CSS / JS) and willingness to prototype in them.