New York /
Operations – Finance /
Hypebeast Ltd. started from a sneaker website founded by Kevin Ma in 2005 to a publicly listed media company in 2016. With a total reach of over 44.6M users across all platforms, The media group boasts a global readership across Asia Pacific, North America, Europe and more, with the flagship platform available in five languages. The group has expanded its publishing brands to a wider scope in recent years, encompassing Hypebeast and its multiple content distribution platforms, HBX, our e-commerce and retail platform, and Hypemaker, our global agency. Hypebeast Ltd. has been featured in Forbes’ “Asia’s 200 Best Under A Billion” in 2020.
The Assistant Accountant will report into our Global Senior Director of Finance located in Hong Kong. The assistant will manage accounts receivable and payable, handle payroll, and help with audits and reconciliations. They should understand employee compensation, benefits, deductions, and payroll taxes. They should also have excellent mathematics knowledge and error-free calculation and fact-checking skills. The Assistant Accountant will assist in preparation of filing tax returns and will also need proficiency with income tax software as well as other softwares we use. Accounting standards include accrual accounting methods, depreciation and capital expenditures, debts, handling of assets, and historical costs.
The ideal candidate must present financial documents and reports in an understandable format. This demands effective oral and written communication skills. Managing many duties on a tight deadline, should be able to multitask without errors. This role involves time-sensitive tasks like managing paperwork, acting as a main point of contact regarding financial inquiries to our US staff, and preparing financial reports. Time management is key. Consistency and accuracy are essential, must be able to find and resolve errors, this requires strict attention to detail and strong fact-checking ability.
- Review expense reimbursements, payments, campaign budget, commissions, payroll, revenue recognitions and P&L for staff according to corporate policy, categorize the expenses into appropriate cost center
- Employee expenses, assisting with payroll, verifying timesheets, calculating vacation and sick days, preparing checks, and ensuring compliance with laws and best practices
- Coordinate & monitor invoice billing and follow AR outstanding
- Prepare weekly (and urgent) payments according to due dates for review
- Clarify the queries from clients and operations, communicate with vendors and customers about invoices and payments via email or phone
- Fill in the vendor form to the client side and set up registration to the client's portal
- Act as point of contact and liaison between Hong Kong Finance team and other departments in US; handle incoming financial emails/inquiries
- Bookkeeping of accounting transactions for the US entities
- Assist in month end closing, month end inventory and revenue reconciliation of retail store
- Assist in quarterly review procedure and annual audit procedure if need
- Liaise with local banks
- Journal preparations, account reconciliations (e.g. intercompany transactions) entry tasks include logging transactions, recording and reviewing entries, creating invoices, and crafting spreadsheets
- Assist in US taxes filings, sales tax filings and sales tax registration of different states
- Coordinate with other departments to streamline workflows and policies
- Set up templates and workflow to enhance US financial processes, examine and raise potential risk areas and recommend improvements
- Assist in audit, and any ad hoc assignments as assigned
- Financial Reports: help headquarters create and update US financial reports, work on balance sheets, statements of income, statements of retained earnings, and cash flow statements
- Degree in Accounting or related discipline
- 2 years of accounting experience, preferably in full set accounting
- Mature, detail oriented, independent and strong sense of initiative
- Basic US tax knowledge preferred
- Experience in accounts receivable and accounts payable
- Strong numerical sense with proficiency in using accounting software & MS Office; Oracle would be an advantage
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- PLEASE DO NOT APPLY IF NOT ELIGIBLE TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES OR EXPERIENCE DOES NOT ALIGN WITH THE POSITION. ANY APPLICANTS THAT ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES OR DO NOT HAVE EXPERIENCE OR STUDIES FOR THE POSITION WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
The Assistant Accountant salary typically ranges from $50,000 to $60,000, plus discretionary bonus compensation. Your actual compensation will be determined based on your skills, qualifications, and experience.
If you think you’ve got what it takes, please provide your cover letter, CV, and expected salary.
This position is based in New York. Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States.
Personal data collected is for recruitment purposes only.