Frontend Software Engineer
New York, NY
At HyperScience we develop and deliver intelligent solutions to automate manual document processing for global financial services, insurance, healthcare, and government organizations. Founded in 2014, our solution extracts handwritten, cursive and printed typed text at better-than-human levels of accuracy and automation that get better over time. By streamlining operations and reducing the costs associated with data entry, we enable some of the world’s largest companies to improve customer service and drive new business opportunities.
With more than $50 million raised to date, we’re growing quickly and looking for individuals to join our team and make a difference in our organization and for our customers.
While at first this may not seem like a priority for a machine learning company, we see a huge opportunity in great user experience. Machine learning itself is not a product. While it’s a fundamental piece of our technology, it still must live in an ecosystem and be used by people. Human-in-the-loop is a powerful feature that allows us to do things like process anything, provide feedback loops for generating accuracy reporting, and on-demand model re-training. Our product works with people, and for people.
We're looking to grow our Application Engineering team with the addition of a Frontend Software Engineer. You'll be implementing a modern enterprise web application, with a focus on quality and great user experience. As a frontend engineer, you'll drive the direction and success of our frontend codebase and the way our users interact with our software to solve a complex problem.
- Within your first month, you will dive deep into the frontend technology of HyperScience and gain a product understanding of what we’re building and why it's important for our customers. You will build various user-facing features that enable our users to automate and complete a complex number of workflows. You'll become deeply familiar with the UI of our system along with the UX and "plumbing" of our data flows. You'll do this in a collaborative team of engineers, product managers, and designers to achieve this goal.
- After 60 days, you will have successfully managed a large-scale, end-to-end feature that interfaces with multiple teams and technologies. You will do this in an environment that prides itself on communication and process, with the acknowledgement that requirements are sometimes vague and subject to change. Along the way, you’ll proactively point out and fix bugs, infrastructure issues, and tech debt. Customers will delight in using your feature, since it unlocks a critical need and majorly enhances the user's experience. You'll be comfortable working with our shared components and will become a code owner of a portion of these.
- After an entire quarter and beyond, you will have had an active voice in directing the technological and product future of our company. This includes suggesting best practices and making the case for new technologies for our bleeding-edge stack, working closely with product and design teams on creating new features, and developing them for whole-team use. You will own large pieces of the shared codebase and improve them as needs dictate (product, stability, functionality) while also proactively highlighting and fixing bugs/tech debt. You will be proud of the code and the product!
- Excellent command of CSS; we like PostCSS.
- Passion for quality and attention to consistency. You write tests for your code.
- Desire to work closely with Product & Design teams in building highly interactive and intuitive web apps.
- Proven track record of building complex systems OR strong GitHub/OSS presence.
- Strong understanding of "building blocks" of the web, e.g., http/s, APIs, REST, JSON.
- Familiarity with modern testing approaches, XSS, CSRF, sync vs. async, promise, immutability, pure functions.Ability to discuss and defend an engineering approach, but also to fully commit and participate in an alternate approach as part of the team.
Benefits & Perks
- Top notch healthcare for you and your family
- 30 days of paid leave annually to help nurture work-life symbiosis
- A 100% 401(k) match for up to 6% of your annual salary
- Stock Options
- Paid gym membership
- Pre-tax transportation and commuter benefits
- 6 month parental leave (or double salary to pay for your partner's unpaid leave)
- Free travel for any person accompanying a breastfeeding mother and her baby on a business trip
- A child care and education stipend up to $3,000 per month, per child, under the age of 21 for a maximum of $6,000 per month total
- Daily catered lunch, snacks, and drinks
- Budget to attend conferences, train, and further your education
- Relocation assistance
We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.