Software Engineer - Backend
New York City - NY, Remote
At HyperScience, we use modern machine learning to turn documents into machine-readable data. Our customers receive a wide variety of documents, like life insurance applications, paystubs, utility bills, insurance claims, that must be processed quickly and accurately to better serve the people at these organizations, and their customers. Amazingly, this is all done manually today. We’re on a mission to change that! Our product is already delivering value to large, blue-chip organizations in financial services and insurance, and we see a massive opportunity to expand to more industries and automate more business processes. We are looking for people who are excited to help us build upon this foundation and vision.
While at first this may not seem like a priority for a machine learning company, we see a huge opportunity in great user experience. Machine learning itself is not a product. While it’s a fundamental piece of our technology, it still must live in an ecosystem and be used by people. Human-in-the-loop is a powerful feature that allows us to do things like process anything, provide feedback loops for generating accuracy reporting, and on-demand model re-training. Our product works with people, and for people.
We're looking to grow our Engineering Team with the addition of a Backend Engineer.
As a Backend Engineer You Will Be:
- Wrapping ML modules in reusable application components, which can be integrated in different configurations depending on the specific customer’s needs.
- Leveraging your systems knowledge to deliver fast and scalable software, starting from the design of the system through development and extension.
- Designing easy-to-use programmer interfaces and tools that will be leveraged by other developers, including APIs for our clients' developers.
- Creatively solving problems even when the initial answer is unclear.
- Helping improve our code quality by writing unit tests and performing thorough code reviews.
- Assessing where the optimization efforts should go in order to utilize better the ML components and know-how of the company.
- Degree in Computer Science or related engineering field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience in building web-scale and/or enterprise-grade systems in different environments.
- Strong ability to reason about data structures, complexity, and possible engineering approaches to a problem.
- Experience with Python / Django is preferred, but experience with any mainstream language and framework is required.
- Experience with distributed systems is a huge plus.
- Experience with database systems, including SQL and/or NoSQL solutions is required.
- Strong background in data science and mathematics is a plus.
- Experience with version control systems, preferably Git.
What You Will Achieve:
- Within your first 30 days:
- You will get acquainted and eventually be fully comfortable navigating the full codebase, the technology stack, the development processes and org structure within the company.
- You will learn the product and will make your first significant, user-impacting contributions to one of our products.
- You will get to know our ML domain, codebase, and practical applications.
- Within your first quarter and beyond:
- You will be an integral part of the team and a driven, focused self-starter who can navigate a certain amount of ambiguity, and who is not afraid to take a sizable chunk of functionality, analyze it, break it down, implement it and then assume ownership and responsibility over it.
- You will be taking an active role in discussions about possible solutions, different approaches, API designs and more.
Benefits & Perks
- Top notch healthcare for you and your family
- 30 days of paid leave annually to help nurture work-life symbiosis
- A 100% 401(k) match for up to 6% of your annual salary
- Stock Options
- Paid gym membership
- Pre-tax transportation and commuter benefits
- 6 month parental leave (or double salary to pay for your partner's unpaid leave)
- Free travel for any person accompanying a breastfeeding mother and her baby on a business trip
- A child care and education stipend up to $3,000 per month, per child, under the age of 21 for a maximum of $6,000 per month total
- Daily catered lunch, snacks, and drinks
- Budget to attend conferences, train, and further your education
- Relocation assistance
HyperScience provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, HyperScience complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.