Software Engineer - Frontend (NYC)
New York, NY
HyperScience translates human-readable content into machine-readable data. We build products that replace existing manual business processes. Our customers do not need to change anything about how they operate, nor do they need to understand anything about artificial intelligence in order to benefit from our products. While our core technology relies on Machine Learning for automation, we believe that User Experience is paramount in our product's adoption and success. Our product touches many users and must work for them, and not the other way around.
We're looking to grow our Application Engineering team with the addition of a Frontend Software Engineer. You'll be implementing a modern enterprise web application, with a focus on quality and great user experience. You'll find practical approaches to developing UI/UX for complicated workflows and take an active role in advising backend API decisions.
What You'll Achieve
- Within your first month, you will dive deep into the technology of HyperScience and gain a product understanding of what we’re building and why it's important for our customers. You will build various features that give fine-grained control of the system to our customer while providing analysis of system performance.
- After 60 days, you will have successfully managed a large-scale, end-to-end feature that interfaces with multiple teams/technologies. You will do this in an environment that prides itself on communication and process, with the acknowledgement that requirements are sometimes vague and subject to change. Along the way, you’ll proactively point out and fix bugs, infrastructure issues, and tech debt.
- After an entire quarter and beyond, you will have had an active voice in directing the technological and product future of our company. This includes suggesting best practices and new technologies for our bleeding-edge stack, and developing them for whole-team use. You will own many pieces of the code base and be proud of it!
What We're Looking For
- Excellent command of CSS; we like PostCSS.
- Passion for quality and attention to detail.
- Desire to work closely with Product & Design teams in building highly interactive and intuitive web apps.
- Proven track record of building enterprise-grade systems OR strong GitHub/OSS presence.
- Comfort with the "building blocks" of the web: http/s, APIs, REST, JSON.
- Ability to discuss and defend an engineering approach, but also to fully commit and participate in an alternate approach as part of the team.
- Degree in CS or related engineering field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience with advanced animations and data visualizations.
- Experience with Python / Django.
- Familiarity modern testing approaches, XSS, CSRF, sync vs. async, promise, immutability, pure functions.
HyperScience provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, HyperScience complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.