Software Engineer- Frontend (NYC)
At HyperScience we bring AI to the enterprise. Our products help enterprises and government institutions function by automating certain kinds of office work and reducing bureaucratic burden both on businesses and their customers. We take a heterogeneous approach to AI, using a blend of what are traditionally considered different fields of ML: deep learning, computer vision, and NLP among others. We believe that AI is destined to be the biggest event in the history of human labor since the Industrial Revolution, and we want to be a part of it.
We're looking to grow our Core Engineering team with the addition of a Frontend Software Engineer! You'll be implementing the UI of a modern, highly-interactive web application with a focus on quality and reliability. You'll find practical approaches to developing UI/UX for complicated workflows as well as take an active role in advising backend API decisions.
What You'll Achieve:
- Within your first month, you will dive deep into the technology of HyperScience and gain a product understanding of what we’re building, why our customers need it, and where our product is headed. You will build out various reusable components and views that give fine-grained control of the system to our customer while providing analysis of system performance.
- After 60 days, you will have successfully managed a large-scale, front-facing feature that interfaces with our multiple teams/technologies; including Machine Learning, DevOps and Data. You will do this in an environment that prides itself on communication and process, with the acknowledgement that requirements are oftentimes vague and subject to change. Along the way, you’ll proactively point out and fix bugs, infrastructure issues, and tech debt.
- After an entire quarter and beyond, you will have had an active voice in directing the technological future and product future of our company. This includes suggesting new best practices and technologies for us to adopt into our bleeding-edge stack, as well as developing them for whole-team use. Others will consistently look up to you for guidance on implementation, architecture, and peer code reviews.
- Degree in CS or related engineering field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Proven track record of building enterprise-grade systems OR strong GitHub/OSS presence.
- Excellent command of CSS.
- Strong ability to reason about data structures, complexity, and possible engineering approaches to a problem.
- Being able to discuss and defend an engineering approach, but also to fully commit and participate in an alternate approach as part of the team is essential.
- Being familiar with all of these things: HTTP, API, REST, JSON, unit test, XSS, CSRF, sync vs. async, promise, immutability, pure function.
- Experience with a functional programming language is a plus - we are using functional programming paradigms whenever practical.
- Experience with Python / Django is a plus.
HyperScience provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, HyperScience complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.