Boston, MA, US /
SG&A – Legal /
The Hyundai-Aptiv Autonomous Driving Joint Venture develops world class production-ready autonomous driving systems. The joint venture leverages Hyundai Motor Group’s design, engineering, and manufacturing expertise and Aptiv’s autonomous driving solutions to commercialize an SAE Level 4 platform for robotaxi providers, fleet operators, and automotive manufacturers.
Headquartered in Boston, the Hyundai-Aptiv Autonomous Driving Joint Venture has operations in the US and Asia. An official name for the new joint venture will be unveiled soon!
About this position
We are seeking a talented IP Counsel with experience in preparing and prosecuting patent applications to maintain and enhance our IP portfolio. The position is based out of our Boston headquarters.
What you’ll work on:
- Manage the preparation and prosecution of patent applications from ideation to filing
- Lead patent harvesting and brainstorming sessions across different sites
- Review outside counsel work product including draft patent applications and draft office action responses
- Manage and assist with growing our patent portfolio
What you’ll need:
- Degree in Computer Science, Computer or Software Engineering, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Automotive Engineering or other relevant technical discipline
- 2-4 years of US patent prosecution experience at a law firm or technology company with a proven track record of successful applications
- USPTO registration
- Member of at least one State bar in the US
- Strong ability to write concisely and clearly
- Ability to collaborate effectively with both engineers and outside counsel
- Ability and willingness to work across time zones
- Comfortable with a minimum of 25% travel (domestic and international) per year
Bonus points (but not required):
- Master’s or higher qualification in Computer Science, Computer or Software Engineering, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Automotive Engineering, or other relevant technical discipline
- Foreign prosecution experience (European, Chinese experience preferred)
- Experience drafting applications related to machine learning, robotics, automotive technologies
- Experience with trademark prosecution, open source software licenses, software licensing
Hyundai-Aptiv AD LLC is an EOE. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To comply with Federal Law, we participate in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the DHS and the SSA to verify their identity and employment eligibility.