Director of University and Nonprofit Partnerships
Sales – University and Nonprofit
Ideas United is a creative agency focused on producing authentic, story-driven content with a purpose.
We are a network of innovators, influencers, and trendsetters who shape cultural narratives. We know how to speak directly to a youthful audience because that’s who we are. We believe every brand has a story to tell, and we’re ready to tell them.
The Director of University and Nonprofit Partnerships will be responsible for growing Ideas United’s support of development marketing and campaigns. The ideal candidate should come with a combination of experience in the university advancement (or similar in the agency world) field and have a strong set of relationships with decision makers at other universities and nonprofit institutions. It’s not crucial that you have direct sales experience however; it’s critical that you are comfortable with development and understand how to navigate conversations with key decision makers at universities and institutions.
- Exercising a high level of independent judgment, serves as an expert development professional in the area of identifying and partnering with universities & institutions needing support with development and capital campaign initiatives.
- Work with IU executive team in developing 60+ already formed IU relationships with universities and institutions
- Leverage current and historical relationships with decision makers at other universities and nonprofit institutions.
- Make at least 5 substantive contacts per month (e.g., significant moves that advance a relationship).
- Build effective relationships and cultivation strategies to deeply engage IU in the university/institution world (from conferences to individual outreach) so IU is positioned to be a partner when campaign / development needs arise.
- Understand and seek out RFP opportunities from university and institutions and bring IU to the table to bid on 1-2 per quarter.
Education & Requirements
- Minimum of 5+ years of experience in a university/institution development role (or similar from the agency angle)
- 3+ years experience in some aspect of capital campaigns (or similar)
- Understanding of operating, capital and endowment fund development at a university/institution level.
- Know and understand the culture, nature and purpose of development/advancement activities as they apply to a university/institution
- Knowledge of productivity technology sufficient to function smoothly in a highly technologically based environment.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, instincts, discretion and judgment.
- Expert communication, analytical, and organizational skills; keen attention to detail and ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Expertise in developing persuasive written and presentation materials from diverse written, oral and primary source information.
- Ambition and motivation that values a collaborative working environment and ability to establish strong interpersonal relationships with academic leaders, faculty, donors, and other staff.
We’re good at a lot of things, like eating tacos, making playlists, and throwing footballs across the office without breaking anything (well, except that one time). We’re also pretty darn good at crafting authentic and original content, events, and campaigns.
What we do goes beyond basic content creation — we take our clients on an epic journey through the perilous world of media production, dodging ineffective schedules and budget overages, and landing our clients directly in front of their uniquely engaged target demographic.
We were event planners before event planners were a thing. Over the years, we’ve produced everything from college tours to cross-country fundraising events to national conferences with hundreds of hours of programming for thousands of attendees.
Campaign, schmampaign. We’re always three steps ahead of your average strategy. Our work propels new brands to greatness and redefines existing brands in ways even they didn’t think was possible.