Director/Senior Director, Medicinal Chemistry
South San Francisco, California
Chemistry – Medicinal Chemistry /
IDEAYA Biosciences (NASDAQ: IDYA) is a public, clinical-stage precision medicine oncology company committed to the discovery and development of targeted therapeutics for patient populations selected using DNA sequencing and other molecular diagnostics. Our approach integrates extensive capabilities in identifying and validating translational biomarkers with small molecule drug discovery to select patient populations most likely to benefit from the therapies we are developing. We are applying these capabilities across multiple classes of precision medicine, including direct targeting of oncogenic pathways and synthetic lethality – which represents an emerging class of precision medicine targets. We believe this diversified approach will enable us to deliver the right medicine to the right patient to drive a more robust clinical response. IDEAYA has an industry leading platform and pipeline in precision medicine / synthetic lethality. IDEAYA wholly-owns or controls its three most-advanced clinical programs. It has established strategic collaborations with GSK, Amgen, Pfizer and Gilead supporting certain clinical and preclinical pipeline programs.
When you're at IDEAYA, you will be in the midst of brilliant minds working on precision medicine therapies to help cancer patients. We are passionate and committed about being on the forefront of oncology medicine, which means we all have a high internal drive that is at the very core of every person at IDEAYA. We are inquisitive, ask deep questions, and are data-driven innovators who like to collaborate and use team work to move science forward. For more information, please see www.ideayabio.com.
We are seeking a talented and highly motivated individual with significant pharmaceutical industry experience to join our multidisciplinary team. The successful candidate will lead a group of medicinal chemists and engage in rational structure-based drug discovery enabled by our computational and structural chemistry group. In addition, the work will include aspects of managing CRO collaborators in the preparation of target molecules and leadership of drug discovery projects. As a member of a dynamic multi-disciplinary team, this person will collaborate with a broad group of scientists within IDEAYA as well as external collaborators.
- Ph.D. in synthetic organic chemistry with 10+ to 15+ years pharmaceutical medicinal chemistry industrial experience
- Expert understanding of medicinal chemistry concepts along with strong working knowledge of protein-ligand interactions, conformational and structural analysis to enable creative solutions to drug discovery issues. A strong track record of using structure-based design is essential.
- Experience in applying molecular modeling methods to structure-based, ligand-based, and fragment-based drug discovery
- Exceptional knowledge of ADME, physicochemical, biochemical and pharmacological principles as applied to drug discovery
- High level of creativity and productivity with strong synthetic problem-solving skills
- Proven leadership capability in cross-functional team setting, either as project team leader or co-lead
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including ability to present the rationale, data, issues and accomplishments of the team
- Ability to work closely with senior management
- Experience managing PhD level reports
- A strong record of delivering portfolio success and driving projects through to the identification of high quality small-molecule drug candidates
- Experienced in partnering closely with other functional areas including: computational chemistry, DMPK, in vivo pharmacology, CMC, etc.
- Excellent awareness of current developments in synthetic and medicinal chemistry, and ability to identify opportunities to advance the science in these fields
- Strong skills in gathering, documenting, and analyzing competitive information from sources such as patents and meetings and using this information to guide program strategy
- Significant operational experience in one of the following disciplines: Analytical Chemistry, Computer Aided Drug Design, Structural Biology, Formulation Sciences, in vitro and/or in vivo ADME
- Strong desire to mentor junior members of the department to increase their medicinal chemistry knowledge and skill set.
The salary range for this position at the Director level is between $210,000 and $230,308. The salary range is an estimate and may vary based on the Company’s compensation practices.
The salary range for this position at the Senior Director level is between $242,288 and $295,010. The salary range is an estimate and may vary based on the Company’s compensation practices.
The Company complies with all laws respecting equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate against applicants with regard to any protected characteristic as defined by federal, state, and local law. This position requires you to work onsite at the Company’s facilities, with partial work-from-home flexibility, and the Company requires that all employees working in its facilities be fully vaccinated (except as required by applicable law). Therefore, this position requires you to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19, subject to reasonable accommodations for medical or religious reasons, and/or as otherwise required by applicable law. The Company considers you fully vaccinated once 14 days have passed since you received either the second dose in a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine series or a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine. The vaccine must have been FDA approved, have emergency use authorization from the FDA, or, for persons fully vaccinated outside of the U.S., be listed for emergency use by the World Health Organization.
Along with our highly collaborative and inclusive environment, IDEAYA offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that includes (but is not limited to) medical/dental/vision coverage (100% company paid for employees and 90% company paid for dependents), retirement benefits, ESPP and wellness programs. All full-time employees will also be eligible for an annual bonus and equity refresh.
IDEAYA is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, IDEAYA does not discriminate in hiring or otherwise in employment based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. EOE/AA/Vets.