Co-Director of Public Relations | National Social Impact Accelerator (part-time, remote, volunteer)
Owensboro, KY /
0 Co-PR Director /
Do you want to improve the world? Have you ever wondered what it would be like to learn and grow at a world-changing organization just as they started growing rapidly? Excited by the opportunity to power world-class entrepreneurs and Changemakers as they work to positively impact the lives of 100,000’s & 1,000,000’s?
If you answered yes then we would love to talk more.
At Ignite Mental Health we're accelerating world-class mental health entrepreneurs and mobilizing key change agents to catalyze the scalable innovations and legislative changes needed to transform the future of student mental health literacy and access. Using this approach, we're working to make the impossible inevitable; helping build and scale lasting legislative changes and breakthrough organizations to be as impactful as Google and Facebook that focus solely on equipping every student with a standard measure of mental health literacy and access.
All of us at Ignite have experienced first-hand, or through that of loved ones and friends, the pain caused by how broken our approaches towards mental health really are. This has driven us to come together to unite some of the best minds and doers to fix it, on a national scale and accelerated timeline.
Become a member of a bold and ambitious mission-driven team which grew rapidly with the support of the Harvard Innovation Labs Venture Program, to become a nationwide effort in just nine months! You will perch atop a fast-growing organization working to catalyze national and global change with the opportunity to learn, grow, and hopefully thrive in our fast-paced, entrepreneurial, and impact-driven environment.
More about you
We are looking for an incredibly resourceful, entrepreneurial, and boundary-pushing Co-Director of Public Relations who is enthralled by the challenge and excited by the opportunity to build, lead and inspire a world-class Public Relations team to drive sweeping improvements in mental health while also pushing Ignite from a startup to a nationally and globally recognized powerhouse for social change.
If you are an experienced PR guru looking to join a tight-knit, mission-driven and world-class team investing and giving back their time to help reduce suffering and save lives on a national scale, then this may be the perfect opportunity for you.
Also, as you saw from the title, we're straight up - we're not funded by a zillionaire (yet!) and this is a non-compensated opening which is volunteer in nature at a social impact non-profit.
We’re expanding our world-class team... This is where you come in.
What you’ll do
- Co-lead (alongside 1-2 other Co-Directors), direct, and execute Ignite's national public relations and media strategy to drive media mentions and exposure.
- Collaborate with our Talent Director to recruit, build and co-direct a world-class PR & Media relations team.
- Develop and implement strategies for increasing the reach, media mentions and impact of Ignite’s news releases, bylined stories, op-eds, interactives, and other materials issued to the press.
- 10+ years of public relations experience, including a minimum of 2 years at an agency, and 3 years of PR leadership experience.
- Deeply driven to transform the future of mental health (but that's a given!).
- A track record of securing impressive media mentions and the ability to operate on a low budget.
- Established relationships with key editors and other contacts at major industry publications, newspapers and blogs.
- Passionate, positive, self-starter who enjoys working in a fast-paced, and sometimes unstructured, startup environment.
Time, Structure & Financial
- Success in this role may involve volunteering 5 to 10 hours per week. The Co-Director may join a team of 1-3 Co-Directors who will split areas of responsibilities. The successful candidate(s) will be welcome to join the HQ team remotely or in-person* either during or after 9-5 EST hours, with an array of integration and team interaction options available.
- Ignite Mental Health currently operates a tight-knit and uniquely high-skilled, volunteer run non-profit social impact organization; efficiently coordinated by a core HQ team of exceptionally dedicated leaders, collectively lending their time to help reduce suffering and save lives on a national scale and accelerated timeline.
- This position is non-compensated and volunteer in nature. We assist all candidates who are enrolled in or work for a University or Sponsoring Organization, with the preparation of all documentation required to support applications for stipends, non-profit work pay related programs, financial fellowships or financial scholarships. As a relatively new non-profit our incoming Capital Raising Team will be working hard to establish partnerships to fund stipends, renumeration etc. At this moment however we are unfortunately unable to commit to renumeration of any form.
- Third-party websites may provide erroneously calculated salary projections for positions. These estimates are not provided by Ignite and are incorrect.
- Our Co-Director of Public Relations would be welcome to work remotely or in-person with our Founder and key team members in the Boston area. In-person options may be dependent on a range of COVID-19 health and safety related factors.
- Have fun while you make a difference
- Develop new skills, insights & experience in a fast-changing entrepreneurial environment
- Join an amazing community of like minded peers across the US while working on high-impact projects
- Learn the nuts and bolts of nonprofit operations in an up-and-coming organization
- Develop new skills and gain valuable experience that can help you stay relevant in a fast-changing news business
Ignite Mental Health is not a department of Harvard University, nor are we in anyway owned or operated by the University. Ignite's only connection with the University is that we were founded by Harvard students/ alumni and are incubated by and worked (pre-covid) out of the Harvard Innovation Labs Venture Program. We ask that all communications are directed to Ignite and not the Harvard Innovation Lab.
This description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work which may be performed by persons assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties, responsibilities or other potentially relevant information which may change between the date of this posting and potential interviews.
We're working to scale innovative solutions and legislative changes —unafraid of transforming traditional approaches—that tackle the root causes of some of the biggest problems affecting mental health.
Are you in?