Major Gifts Officer, Development | National Social Impact Accelerator - Non-Profit (part-time, remote, volunteer)
New Orleans, LA /
0 A Major Gifts /
** It would be appreciated if all emails/communications were directed to Ignite & not the Harvard Innovation Lab, Harvard Business School or Harvard University.
Do you want to improve the world? Have you ever wondered what it would be like to join a driven, tight-knit community of highly talented peers at a world-changing organization just as they started growing rapidly? Excited by the opportunity to power world-class entrepreneurs and Changemakers as they work to positively impact the lives of 1,000’s, 100,000’s or 1,000,000’s?
At Ignite Mental Health we're accelerating world-class mental health entrepreneurs and mobilizing key change agents to catalyze the scalable innovations and legislative changes needed to transform the future of student mental health literacy and access. Using this approach, we're working to make the impossible inevitable; helping build and scale lasting legislative changes and breakthrough organizations to be as impactful as Google and Facebook that focus solely on equipping every student with a standard measure of mental health literacy and access.
All of us at Ignite have experienced first-hand, or through that of loved ones and friends, the pain caused by how broken our approaches towards mental health really are. This has driven us to come together to unite some of the best minds and doers on the planet to fix it, on a national scale and accelerated timeline.
Become a member of a bold and ambitious mission-driven team which grew rapidly with the support of the Harvard Innovation Labs Venture Program, to become a nationwide effort in just nine months! You will perch atop a fast-growing organization working to catalyze national and global change with the opportunity to learn, grow, and hopefully thrive in our fast-paced, entrepreneurial, and impact-driven environment.
PS: As you saw from the title, we're straight up that we're not funded by a zillionaire (yet!) and this is a non-compensated opening that is volunteer in nature at a social impact non-profit.
More about you
We are looking for a boldly ambitious, incredibly resourceful, and boundary-pushing Co-Major Gifts Officer who is enthralled by the challenge and excited by the opportunity to co-create and co-lead an innovative fundraising powerhouse which not only establishes Ignite as a beacon for what innovative major gift fundraising at scale can look like but most importantly helps drive sweeping improvements in national mental health literacy and access.
If you are an experienced development professional looking to join a tight-knit, entrepreneurial and world-class team working to tackle a problem affecting every facet of society and in doing so help reduce suffering and save lives on a national scale, then this may be the perfect opportunity for you.
We’re expanding our world-class team... This is where you come in.
What you’ll do (alongside your team)
- Co-develop, co-iterate and co-deliver a boldly ambitious (but achievable) major donor fundraising strategy to achieve ambitious revenue/fundraising goals.
- Collaborate with our team to develop, test and iterate innovative major gifts strategies at scale, ultimately positioning Ignite (and your team) as a thought leader in the space.
- Identify, prospect, and close a diverse portfolio of major donors (including individuals, brand partners, family foundations, partners etc.). Moves-management.
- Collaborate with Talent Acquisition to co-recruit, co-lead, coach and inspire a top-tier major gifts team (subject to your areas of interest).
- 4+ years experience in securing new individual and corporate donors, closing five- or six-figure gifts.
- Growth mindset, a deep sense of 'extreme ownership' for projects, not afraid of failure or taking risks and boldly ambitious.
- At least 2 years securing over one hundred thousand dollars per year from new prospects.
- Strong research skills—ability to identify and research individual donor prospects. Strong initiative and ability to work independently to achieve goals.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships.
- Deeply driven to transform the future of mental health (but that's a given!).
Time, Structure & Financial
- Success in this role may involve volunteering 6 - 10 hours per week. The Major Gifts Officer may join a team of 1-3 other Co-Major Gifts Officers who may share areas of responsibilities. Hours can be flexible based on personal schedules with ample options to integrate with the team both during and after standard 9-5 EST hours.
- Ignite Mental Health currently operates a tight-knit and uniquely high-skilled, volunteer-run non-profit social impact organization; efficiently coordinated by a core HQ team of exceptionally dedicated leaders, collectively lending their time to help reduce suffering and save lives on a national scale and accelerated timeline.
- This position is non-compensated and volunteer in nature. We assist all candidates who are enrolled in or work for a University or Sponsoring Organization, with the preparation of all documentation required to support applications for stipends, non-profit work pay related programs, financial fellowships or financial scholarships. As a newly incorporated social-impact non-profit our incoming Capital Raising Team will be working hard to establish partnerships to fund stipends, renumeration etc. At this moment, however, we are unfortunately unable to commit to renumeration of any form.
- Third-party websites may provide erroneously calculated salary projections for positions. These estimates are not provided by Ignite and are incorrect.
- Candidates for this position would be welcome to work remotely from anywhere in the world or in-person with our Founder and key team members in the Boston area. In-person options may be dependent on a range of COVID-19 health and safety related factors.
- Join an amazingly talented community of like minded peers across the US working to solve one of societies most pressing problems.
- Develop new skills, insights & experience in a fast-changing entrepreneurial environment.
- Help build the future you want to see and achieve lasting changes in national mental health.
- And all the other stuff too :)
Ignite Mental Health is not a department of Harvard University, nor are we in anyway owned or operated by the University. Ignite's only connection with the University is that we were founded by Harvard students/ alumni and incubated by and worked (pre-covid) out of the Harvard Innovation Labs Venture Program. We ask that all communications are directed to Ignite and not the Harvard Innovation Lab.
This description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work which may be performed by persons assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties, responsibilities or other potentially relevant information which may change between the date of this posting and potential interviews.
We're working to scale innovative solutions and legislative changes —unafraid of transforming traditional approaches—that tackle the root causes of some of the biggest problems affecting mental health.
Are you in?