Chief of Staff (San Francisco)
San Francisco, CA
The Chief of Staff will work closely with CEO Kanjun Qiu and CTO Josh Albrecht as we scale Imbue. Kanjun herself started her career as the Chief of Staff at Dropbox, scaling the company from 200 to 1300 people.
This is a high-trust role with enormous growth potential. This role is more tactical than strategic and is more focused on execution over strategic planning. The focus will be on business operations, not specific domains like product or GTM. It should not be considered a path into these fields. Your job is to scale our collective bandwidth, and do whatever it takes to make Imbue successful.
Your work might include:
• Create a detailed agenda for our full-team offsite in Japan, and be responsible for the offsite’s success
• Go through every cost line item in Quickbooks and cut unnecessary spend
• Interview candidates
• Negotiate with GPU (and other) vendors to get good deals
• Handle one-off investor asks
• Attend AI conferences and hackathons in place of Kanjun, and synthesize learnings for our team
• Host events
• Write social media copy when we publish blog posts, podcast episodes, or other announcements
• Find and get guests for our podcast
• An unstoppable executor who gets stuff done at all costs
• A fast and voracious learner who isn’t afraid of tackling never-before-seen problems
• A first principles thinker who doesn’t do things just because that’s the way they “should” be done
• Flexible and able to create end-to-end solutions with a strong and dynamic execution plan
• Passionate about AI, and a belief that AI today is a historical moment, like the Industrial Revolution or the early Internet
• Empathetic and able to communicate productively with any person
• Effective at achieving goals through negotiation and collaboration
• Energized by talking to/working with other people
Some backgrounds that could be a fit
• Experience as a founder, Chief of Staff, or in Business Operations or Strategy & Operations
• Experience as an engineer or product manager with a desire to move to the operations side
How to apply
Since writing is a core part of this role, we require you to upload 1-2 writing samples in your application. We’ll be evaluating for fluency and clarity of thought. Examples could include:
• A memo outlining strategy for a new product
• An analysis of a business process
• Blog posts or other copy written for external publishing
All submissions are reviewed by a person, so we encourage you to include notes on why you're interested in working with us. If you have any other work you can showcase (open source code, side projects, etc.), certainly include it! We know that talent comes from many backgrounds, and we aim to build a team with diverse skillsets that spike strongly in different areas.
We try to reply either way within a week or two at most (usually much sooner).
Imbue builds AI systems that reason and code, enabling AI agents to accomplish larger goals and safely work in the real world. We train our own foundation models optimized for reasoning and prototype agents on top of these models. By using these agents extensively, we gain insights into improving both the capabilities of the underlying models and the interaction design for agents.
We aim to rekindle the dream of the *personal* computer, where computers become truly intelligent tools that empower us, giving us freedom, dignity, and agency to pursue the things we love.