Industrial Microbes (iMicrobes) is hiring an Analytical Scientist/Chemist to build our analytical team and capabilities in Alameda, CA. Candidates will be hired at the Scientist II to Senior Scientist level as appropriate.
We are looking for a growth-oriented scientist to manage all analytics efforts at iMicrobes for fermentation-derived products. In the short term, there will be hands-on work to both run routine HPLC analysis for quantification of organic acids and develop new GC-MS methods for analysis of PHA biopolymers. In the long term, the position will grow into more diverse and complex analysis of bacterial metabolites.
At iMicrobes, our mission is to invent more sustainable ways of making chemicals and materials for the largest markets, with a focus on scaling new fermentation methods that use greenhouse gases as raw materials. Our synthetic biology team has built the world’s most programmable gas-eating microorganism, capable of converting biogas, natural gas, and carbon dioxide into a wide range of products.
The Analytical Scientist will play a key role in a growing team, including working to develop creative solutions to achieve our milestones with partners. A successful candidate will be excited to approach technical challenges and thrive within a collaborative environment. This role is expected to contribute meaningfully to projects and influence technical strategy, far beyond routine sample processing or quality control.
What you’ll do
- Expand our analytical capabilities to include pyrolysis GC-MS
- Supervise HPLC operations
- Coordinate external analytics submissions
- Develop methods to identify and quantify small molecule fermentation products
- Identify and onboard high-throughput and quantitative technologies for various projects including polymer analysis
- Collaborate with multiple departments to deliver high-quality data
The ideal candidate will have some or all of these experiences and qualifications
- Experience operating and maintaining HPLC and GC-MS equipment
- Familiarity with a variety of analytical techniques and ability to evaluate which will work best for a given target
- Experience developing methods for a wide variety of fermentation products
- Experience quantifying and characterizing biopolymers
- Comfortable troubleshooting used equipment and software
- Experience training junior research associates
While the position is flexible and some work can be done remotely, there is a requirement to be on-site in Alameda, CA regularly. Candidates must be currently authorized to work in the United States.
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Stock options
- 401(k) plan
- 4-5 weeks of paid vacation and a flexible schedule
- 12 weeks of paid family leave (PFL) for a new child and 8 weeks PFL for other qualifying events
- Monthly stipends for personal wellness and learning
- Daily lunches and snacks
$98,000 - $130,000 a year
Leave the World Greener - Find the Full Half - Take Ownership - Data Win - Keep Your Sense of Wonder - Communicate! (Early and Often) - Unfinished Over Unsafe - Be Yourself
Applicants are encouraged to read all our Core Values at imicrobes.com/careers
Ensuring a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace (DEI) where we learn from each other is central to our culture. There’s a lack of diversity in our industry and that needs to change. Industrial Microbes is deeply committed to DEI in all of our practices. Achieving our mission depends on our ability to build a positive and supportive team of people with different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. Candidates in underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer; all are welcome to apply.
Our staff are the most important part of the company. We value work-life balance, well-being, and a positive company culture. Employees have said about iMicrobes that “work culture is above and beyond.”
iMicrobes is developing bio-manufacturing methods that can produce sustainable materials that have both reduced costs and reduced environmental impacts. Our processes use custom microbes with metabolic abilities not found in nature. We work with partners to scale our microbes to get products into the market where they can make a real impact.