Food Product Developer
Imperfect Foods was founded in 2015 with a mission to reduce food waste and build a better food system for everyone. We offer imperfect (yet delicious) produce, affordable pantry items, and quality meat and dairy. We deliver them conveniently to our customers’ doorsteps and pride ourselves on offering up to a 30% discount compared to grocery store prices. Our customers can get the healthy, seasonal produce they want alongside the grocery staples they rely on, without having to compromise their budget or values. We’re proving that doing the right thing for the planet doesn’t have to cost more, and that shopping for quality ingredients can support the people and resources that it takes to grow our favorite foods.
We're headquartered in San Francisco with operations all over the country. Check our website to see if there is an Imperfect near you!
We're looking for folks who are positive, motivated, and ready to change the world. If that sounds like you, drop us a line!
About the Role:
Imperfect Foods is looking for a hardworking Product & Private Label Specialist to join our Merchandising team. You and your private label team members will own the development of new products from concept to commercialization. The ideal candidate will have a passion for all things consumable, keep up with the latest industry trends, and be passionate about bringing our mission to life.
- Lead all aspects of the product development process from conceptualization to product launch.
- Use experience, insights, and data-driven decisions to inform product development decisions and delight our customers.
- Product development duties will include, but not be limited to: evaluating key sensory attributes, shelf life, nutrition facts, processing, safety, packaging, coding, and regulatory compliance.
- Leads supplier selection for products, including: sample and product information requests, specification development, product cost, order minimums and lead times, and communication of product changes to address safety, performance, and/or regulatory issues.
- Partners with Category Managers to address assortment gaps and develop unique, mission-aligned products to surprise and delight our customers.
- Works closely with the Director of Product Development & Private Brand to support company and category strategies.
Skills and Qualifications:
- 1-2 years of product development experience in consumables.
- Strong collaboration skills required.
- Familiarity with regulatory compliance.
- Familiarity with a range of domestic and international food and beverage manufacturers preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to represent the company and its mission when dealing with vendors, contract manufacturers, and internal teams.
- Excellent organizational skills, process management, and attention to detail in a fast-paced, multifaceted environment.
- Experience with Excel, SPINS, and other platforms preferred.
- A passion for our mission of creating a better food system through thoughtful sourcing.
- Challenges the status quo and continually seeks to innovate.
- Insatiably curious and open to learning new things constantly.
- Results-oriented, as private label development is essential to our company strategy.
- Comfortable with change and shifting priorities.
- A well-developed palate.
- Ability to receive and give product feedback in a group setting and present products and business cases to key partners.
- Able to travel a few times throughout the year (once safe)
Details of Position:
- Full-time/ exempt position reporting to the Director of Product Development and Private Brand
- Salary and employee stock options commensurate with experience
- Competitive benefits package including health care, paid vacation, 401K, paid parental leave, and recurring credit towards your Imperfect account!
- Domestic travel might be required Ability to work a flexible schedule and working hours as necessary
- Candidate can be remotely located within US time zones
- Sedentary work; involves sitting most of the time
- Occasional movement around the office may be necessary
- Regular work with computers, including keyboards, mouses, and screens
- Standing desks and / or other ergonomic accommodation is available upon request
- Regular use of mobile devices, including smartphones and tablets
- Domestic travel as necessary
- Ability to lift/push/pull up to 50 pounds
Individuals seeking employment at Imperfect Foods are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
U.S. E-Verify Notice: Imperfect Foods participates in E-Verify in the United States. Imperfect will provide the U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
How we are protecting employees from COVID-19
At Imperfect Foods, employee health and safety is our top priority. We have implemented processes and precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our facilities. We provide gloves, masks, and hand sanitizer to all essential employees who must report to work. Before entering our warehouse, employees have their temperatures checked. In addition, we take great care to ensure frequently touched surfaces are sanitized throughout the day and all warehouses are fully sanitized weekly.
We have also implemented an Emergency Sick Leave policy providing full-time and part-time employees 2 additional weeks of paid time off and up to 26 weeks paid leave if they have a confirmed case of COVID-19.