Software Engineer - Backend / Data / ML
Imperfect Foods was founded in 2015 with a mission to reduce food waste and build a better food system for everyone. We offer imperfect (yet delicious) produce, affordable pantry items, and quality meat and dairy. We deliver them conveniently to our customers’ doorsteps and pride ourselves on offering up to a 30% discount compared to grocery store prices. Our customers can get the healthy, seasonal produce they want alongside the grocery staples they rely on, without having to compromise their budget or values. We’re proving that doing the right thing for the planet doesn’t have to cost more, and that shopping for quality ingredients can support the people and resources that it takes to grow our favorite foods.
We're headquartered in San Francisco with operations all over the country. Check our website to see if there is an Imperfect near you!
We're looking for folks who are positive, motivated, and ready to change the world. If that sounds like you, drop us a line!
About the Role:
Our software engineering team builds the e-commerce platform and internal tooling that makes this all possible, including a strong data foundation upon which we’re building data and machine learning systems that help us take the work out of grocery shopping! Engineers don’t just build widgets or maintain data pipelines -- we participate in the full lifecycle of a feature, from conception to release. We’re a remote-first team with members throughout the US. This role will report to the Engineering Manager for Data / Machine Learning.
We have heaps of interesting problems to solve around customer experience, logistics, supply chain and scale. We’re looking for a backend software engineer with experience leveraging data and machine learning to help us build out our capabilities in personalization, recommendation engines, and business optimization.
If you are egg-cited by the idea of owning the full product engineering lifecycle, diving into a bushel of data, and working with a bunch of grape people fighting food waste and tackling problems of sustainability, we want you to lettuce know!
- Collaborate with other team members to build personalization, recommendation and optimization systems built primarily in F#/.NET and Python
- Own the full software development lifecycle, from initial concepts, requirements gathering, development, testing, deployment and maintenance
- Actively contribute to team and company standards, including an emphasis on building a data-driven culture and mindset
- Practice disciplined software engineering (e.g. automated testing, code reviews, and writing maintainable code)
- Ensure the reliability of systems essential to Imperfect customers and internal users
- Keep up-to-date with the latest technology developments related to your domain
Skills and Qualifications:
- 3+ years experience building and architecting large-scale, production quality backend systems. Building systems that support data-driven and applied machine learning applications is a plus
- Strong software engineering mindset with an eye toward simplicity, maintainability, automated testing, and other best practices
- Experience building distributed, service-oriented systems communicating with RESTful API interfaces
- Understanding of database schema design, caching and scalability
- Expertise with relational databases, such as PostgreSQL
- Experience with data engineering lifecycle is a plus (e.g. data acquisition and storage; data orchestration and pipelining; data analysis; and the optimization and deployment of data science/machine learning models)
- Experience working with large-scale, asynchronous data systems, and an understanding of the tradeoffs and considerations between batch and real-time streaming data is a plus
- Proficiency in F#, Python, or similar languages
- Experience with event sourcing, CQRS, and asynchronous communication using queues is a plus
- Familiarity with optimization, recommendation, and personalization algorithms is a plus
- You have a pragmatic, customer-centric approach to problem-solving
- You have a sincere commitment to crafting maintainable, dependable systems
- You have the willingness and ability to contribute to a team culture of quality
- You have an appetite to learn from and share knowledge with other members of the team
- You have a desire to build both the core backend systems that drive Imperfect’s data aggregation and the systems that leverage and build upon that data
- You're passionate about our mission to eliminate food waste and create a better food system for all
Details of Position:
- Full-time exempt position reporting to the Engineering Manager
- Candidate can be remotely located within the US
- Salary and employee stock options commensurate with experience
- Competitive benefits package including health care, paid vacation, 401K, paid parental leave, and recurring credit towards your Imperfect account!
- A mix of sedentary and standing work
- Regular work with computers, including keyboards, mouses, and screens
- Regular use of mobile devices, including smartphones and tablets
Individuals seeking employment at Imperfect Foods are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
U.S. E-Verify Notice: Imperfect Foods participates in E-Verify in the United States. Imperfect will provide the U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
How we are protecting employees from COVID-19
At Imperfect Foods, employee health and safety is our top priority. We have implemented processes and precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our facilities. We provide gloves, masks, and hand sanitizer to all essential employees who must report to work. Before entering our warehouse, employees have their temperatures checked. In addition, we take great care to ensure frequently touched surfaces are sanitized throughout the day and all warehouses are fully sanitized weekly.
We have also implemented an Emergency Sick Leave policy providing full-time and part-time employees 2 additional weeks of paid time off and up to 26 weeks paid leave if they have a confirmed case of COVID-19.