Engineering Manager, Gaming and Production
Gaming and Production – Gaming and Production
Improbable is a British technology company that focuses on large-scale simulations in the cloud. In gaming and entertainment, Improbable unlocks truly next-generation gameplay through virtual worlds of unprecedented scale, persistence and richness.
Improbable believes that China is leading the world in gaming, and that the next generation of virtual worlds will be developed by the prosperous Chinese Game Development Community.
Improbable is working towards opening multiple offices within China and hiring the initial ‘founders’ of Improbable China; our core hub for APAC Operations. We are looking for individuals with a founder mentality to support Games Production, Business Development and Product Development. Initially the focus will be on SpatialOS, but we are also opening our China Office to explore new product opportunities in gaming.
Our first China office will be based in Guangzhou and we expect to expand to multiple locations over time, as we explore additional opportunities beyond the SpatialOS platform. There will be significant opportunities to work with our outstanding Product, Engineering and Commercial teams based in London, San Francisco and other APAC countries.
We are a multinational technology company proudly building a diverse workforce, driven by a shared desire to improve and achieve extraordinary things. We’re crafting technology for the future and fostering a problem-solving culture that embraces innovation through iteration and experimentation.
As an Engineering Manager at Improbable we want you to help shape our Gaming and Production Engineering team to assist our customers on successfully seeing their projects and games through prototyping to release. That said, your primary role is to lead and develop your wonderful team - taking care of hiring, on-boarding, mentoring, coaching, career development, and performance management. We want to build a positive team culture where you're supporting colleagues and empowering them to grow as technical leaders and people. The work that you enable your team to deliver on and roadmap will ultimately have an impact on the vision of SpatialOS itself.
- 2+ years of growing and managing a team of engineers
- Experience working in a Game Development team
- Full professional proficiency in both Mandarin and English
- Proven experience building & running large-scale, highly-available, distributed system
- Real passion for developing, mentoring and supporting people
- A background in software and/or systems engineering
- Comfortable coding in at least one mainstream programming language (even if it is not one that Improbable uses)
- We expect you to have highly developed technical and people troubleshooting skills
- Comfortable with 'guerrilla capacity planning' for internet service architectures
- Worked with customers, both internal and external
- Excellent communication skills
- A strong software engineering pedigree, comfortable choosing the most appropriate language/technologies for the project at hand
- You have previously operated in a senior capacity and mentored or coached more junior engineers from a technical perspective
- Software Engineering is more than just a job to you. Perhaps you contribute to Open Source projects, blog or speak at events occasionally, or just spend a great deal of your time thinking about interesting problems
- You're disappointed when you're not learning something new or stretching yourself
- You can offer your opinion and respectfully reason with people, but equally commit to the direction decided by the majority after being heard
The best ideas are often the least expected and require new ways of thinking; that’s why our teams at Improbable are made up of an incredible range of talented people. Improbable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.