Engineering – Engineering
Improbable is a British technology company that focuses on large-scale simulations in the cloud. In gaming and entertainment, Improbable unlocks truly next-generation gameplay through virtual worlds of unprecedented scale, persistence and richness.
Improbable believes that China is leading the world in gaming, and that the next generation of virtual worlds will be developed by the prosperous Chinese Game Development Community.
Improbable is working towards opening multiple offices within China and hiring the initial ‘founders’ of Improbable China; our core hub for APAC Operations. We are looking for individuals with a founder mentality to support Games Production, Business Development and Product Development. Initially the focus will be on SpatialOS, but we are also opening our China Office to explore new product opportunities in gaming.
Our first China office will be based in Guangzhou and we expect to expand to multiple locations over time, as we explore additional opportunities beyond the SpatialOS platform. There will be significant opportunities to work with our outstanding Product, Engineering and Commercial teams based in London, San Francisco and other APAC countries.
We are a multinational technology company proudly building a diverse workforce, driven by a shared desire to improve and achieve extraordinary things. We’re crafting technology for the future and fostering a problem-solving culture that embraces innovation through iteration and experimentation.
Engineering is at the heart of Improbable. We solve some of the hardest problems around in areas such as distributed systems, high-performance cloud computing, messaging and much more.We are technology neutral and believe in well-tested, robust code. Much of our platform and integrations are built in GoLang/Java with areas of C++, TypeScript and C#. We use Open Source technologies (such as CoreOS, etcd, Fleet, Docker, Prometheus, gRPC, Unreal) and give back to the community through open source contributions when we can.As a platform engineer in the Infrastructure team at Improbable, you’ll be responsible for designing, building and running the software and systems which underpin our large-scale, real-time, distributed simulations.The Infrastructure team builds flexible services and tooling which allows Improbable to rapidly scale whilst delivering a seamless experience to our customers.
- Design, build and run software and systems which underpin our large-scale, real-time, distributed simulations
- You will create world class, robust APIs and SDKs to enable external customers / game developers to manage and analyse their games deployed on SpatialOS
- Ensure the smooth delivery and update of production service with no user impact
- Experience in designing, building and running large-scale distributed systems
- Good knowledge of internet networking and performance
- Passionate about troubleshooting, debugging, and automation Strong Linux knowledge
- An appreciation for clean code and API design
- User-focussed and/or product-focussed mentality
- Full professional proficiency in reading and writing, conversational English
Experience of the following would be advantageous
- Experience running high-traffic, robust APIs
- Active on open source projects (bug reports, bug fixes, own projects)
- Experience with clustering and containerization technologies (e.g. Kubernetes, Docker etc)
- Experience with at least one public cloud environment (e.g. Google Cloud Platform, AWS, etc.)
- Experience with configuration management (e.g. Chef, Puppet, Ansible)
- Comfortable with one programming language (e.g. C++, Go, Java)
- Ability to pick up new software, frameworks and APIs quickly
The best ideas are often the least expected and require new ways of thinking; that’s why our teams at Improbable are made up of an incredible range of talented people. Improbable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.