Regional Manager, Shanghai
Operations – Operations
Improbable is a British technology company that focuses on large-scale simulations in the cloud. In gaming and entertainment, Improbable unlocks truly next-generation gameplay through virtual worlds of unprecedented scale, persistence and richness.
Improbable believes that China is leading the world in gaming, and that the next generation of virtual worlds will be developed by the prosperous Chinese Game Development Community.
Improbable is working towards opening multiple offices within China and hiring the initial ‘founders’ of Improbable China; our core hub for APAC Operations. We are looking for individuals with a founder mentality to support Games Production, Business Development and Product Development. Initially the focus will be on SpatialOS, but we are also opening our China Office to explore new product opportunities in gaming.
Our first China office will be based in Guangzhou and we expect to expand to multiple locations over time, as we explore additional opportunities beyond the SpatialOS platform. There will be significant opportunities to work with our outstanding Product, Engineering and Commercial teams based in London, San Francisco and other APAC countries.
We are a multinational technology company proudly building a diverse workforce, driven by a shared desire to improve and achieve extraordinary things. We’re crafting technology for the future and fostering a problem-solving culture that embraces innovation through iteration and experimentation.
This role, reporting to the CEO of Improbable in China, will be responsible for leading a cross-functional team at our China Headquarters (Shanghai) as we seek to rapidly scale our lead office in APAC.
You will manage our corporate functions including Finance, People and Talent, as well as having overall responsibility for our local Marketing teams. Dependent on your experience, you may also have responsibility for our local Product Development teams. You will work closely with our other offices in APAC and our Global functional leads.
You will be responsible for the management for your office, leading the personal management and pastoral care for your team. In addition, you will guide their technical skills development together with their global functional lead. You will play a significant role in the commercial development of our China business. You will need to develop a deep understanding of Improbable's business and the technology underpinning our product with an aim to provide clear, practical leadership in a fast-paced environment as we work towards our commercial objectives.
As part of the founding team for our new office in China, you will also support the business more broadly - helping us grow the team from a handful of employees to multiple office sites across the region.
- Experience managing high-calibre, cross-functional teams (preferably including Software product development); we’re breaking new ground and need world-class leaders
- Excellent organisational skills, as well as excellent written and verbal communication skills, and strong attention to detail
- Strong business acumen and the ability to bring exceptional business judgement and creativity to your daily role
- Ability to work concurrently on a variety of cross-functional projects, mitigate cross-team dependencies, effectively prioritise, and work under demanding deadlines to deliver overall business goals. A passion for building and developing high-performance team with happy, challenged and curious employees.
- High levels of emotional intelligence and a natural affinity for building empathy
- Full professional proficiency or greater in both Mandarin and English
The following will be advantageous
- Experience working in the games industry
- Experience working on or with Platform as a Service products
- Track record of delivering on complex software engineering projects
- Natural appreciation of best-practice for software delivery
The best ideas are often the least expected and require new ways of thinking; that’s why our teams at Improbable are made up of an incredible range of talented people. Improbable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.