Games Solutions Architect
Gaming and Production – Gaming and Production
Improbable is a British technology company that focuses on large-scale simulations in the cloud. In gaming and entertainment, Improbable unlocks truly next-generation gameplay through virtual worlds of unprecedented scale, persistence and richness.
Improbable believes that China is leading the world in gaming, and that the next generation of virtual worlds will be developed by the prosperous Chinese Game Development Community.
Improbable is working towards opening multiple offices within China and hiring the initial ‘founders’ of Improbable China; our core hub for APAC Operations. We are looking for individuals with a founder mentality to support Games Production, Business Development and Product Development. Initially the focus will be on SpatialOS, but we are also opening our China Office to explore new product opportunities in gaming.
Our first China office will be based in Guangzhou and we expect to expand to multiple locations over time, as we explore additional opportunities beyond the SpatialOS platform. There will be significant opportunities to work with our outstanding Product, Engineering and Commercial teams based in London, San Francisco and other APAC countries.
We are a multinational technology company proudly building a diverse workforce, driven by a shared desire to improve and achieve extraordinary things. We’re crafting technology for the future and fostering a problem-solving culture that embraces innovation through iteration and experimentation.
With the successful launch of SpatialOS to the gaming world, the popularity of our platform is growing. A Game Solutions Architect (GSA) at Improbable is an Senior Engineer who is an expert with the core concepts of SpatialOS and someone who helps the partner studios to build their game. A GSA is a domain expert in the technical constraints and development of one or more gameplay elements with regards to successful approaches to its implementation with SpatialOS. A GSA helps to design and acts as a consultant for partners in implementing critical gameplay or gameplay-related systems that will be technically robust for large-scale, complex games.
- Responsible for technical process and technology within assigned teams
- Provide strategic planning and direction and be accountable for technical design of one or more of partner projects; influencing and approving overall architecture and ensuring design is reviewed
- Accountable for overall code quality; ensuring code is cross-platform, reviewed, reusable and testable
- Accountable for overall performance; defining metrics and setting targets
- Identify career opportunities; grow staff capability; establish the staff profile, performance & training standards, staff planning, succession planning, and compatibility; partnering with the People team on career growth and succession planning
- Drive engineering recruiting; work with the People team to hire top talent
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience for working in games and/or game development
- Knowledge of implementing gameplay or elements of gameplay (e.g., combat mechanics, AI behaviours, pathfinding), game architectures and game development paradigms (e.g., entity component systems)
- Knowledge and experience with game engines (e.g., Unity, Unreal or CryEngine)
- Previous experience with shipping a 1–2 game(s) with proven expertise in designing and implementing bespoke game systems
- Ability to communicate with both non-technical stakeholders (e.g., producers, artists, designers), establishing technical requirements from creative or design-led pitches
- Experience in the creation of elements of game design documents and/or technical design documents and comfortable in offering opinions and weighing up trade-offs for different technical solutions or implementations in the face of constraints
- Full professional proficiency in reading and writing, conversational English
The following would be advantageous
- Previously operated in a senior capacity and mentored or coached more junior engineers from a technical perspective
- Previous experience with implementing features for multiplayer games
The best ideas are often the least expected and require new ways of thinking; that’s why our teams at Improbable are made up of an incredible range of talented people. Improbable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.