Senior Unreal Engineer
Engineering – Engineering
Improbable is a British technology company that focuses on large-scale simulations in the cloud. In gaming and entertainment, Improbable unlocks truly next-generation gameplay through virtual worlds of unprecedented scale, persistence and richness.
Improbable believes that China is leading the world in gaming, and that the next generation of virtual worlds will be developed by the prosperous Chinese Game Development Community.
Improbable is working towards opening multiple offices within China and hiring the initial ‘founders’ of Improbable China; our core hub for APAC Operations. We are looking for individuals with a founder mentality to support Games Production, Business Development and Product Development. Initially the focus will be on SpatialOS, but we are also opening our China Office to explore new product opportunities in gaming.
Our first China office will be based in Guangzhou and we expect to expand to multiple locations over time, as we explore additional opportunities beyond the SpatialOS platform. There will be significant opportunities to work with our outstanding Product, Engineering and Commercial teams based in London, San Francisco and other APAC countries.
We are a multinational technology company proudly building a diverse workforce, driven by a shared desire to improve and achieve extraordinary things. We’re crafting technology for the future and fostering a problem-solving culture that embraces innovation through iteration and experimentation.
You will work on cutting-edge engine technology, building gameplay and gameplay systems that interact with network back end systems to build underlying frameworks that shape the SDKs that we provide to our customers. You will be often involved at design and implementation phase for the underlying abstractions that we provide to our customers who develop their games in Unreal Engine. You will frequently embed in other teams to provide direct assistance. Our working methods are very flexible as we are always challenging the technology to its limits. We are always finding ways to learn and spread knowledge within the team. The best part of working at Improbable is that you are working in a team of friendly and extremely talented developers who want to share their own challenges and expertise with you.
- Integrate Unreal engine into the SpatialOS ecosystem
- Create native and high performant SDKs for Unreal engine
- Significant experience with Unreal Engine (ideally UE4) in a games production environment.
- Experience with C and/or C++ in a professional software engineering environment
- An appreciation for clean code and API design
- User-focussed and/or product-focussed mentality
- Full professional proficiency in reading and writing, conversational English
Experience of the following would be advantageous but isn't essential
- You have been a part of game development from conceptualisation through to launch
- You have shipped a PC or console game title
- Experience with the native Unreal networking stack
- Experience or knowledge of additional game engines (i.e. Unity, CryEngine, Havok etc…)
- Experience writing proprietary engines
The best ideas are often the least expected and require new ways of thinking; that’s why our teams at Improbable are made up of an incredible range of talented people. Improbable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.