Principal Environment Artist - Midwinter Entertainment
Seattle, WA /
Gaming and Production – Midwinter Entertainment /
Permanent Employee (PE)
At Midwinter we're on a quest to create ground-breaking new games and a thriving community of gamers who play them. We’re bringing together top talent with a shared passion for creating fun. We value people from diverse backgrounds with differing perspectives, who are unafraid of taking on new challenges.
Midwinter is looking for a full-time Environment Artist to join our talented development team! We are based in Seattle, but currently operating remotely throughout the West Coast. This is a Principal level position that requires technical knowledge and shipped game experience in Unreal Engine 4.
We are a small team of artists, designers and engineers working on something awesome. If you are passionate about beautiful environments, have a great looking portfolio and often find yourself getting under the hood in UE4, we'd love to hear from you!
As a Principal Environment Artist, you will partner directly with designers, artists and engineers to develop and optimize the beautiful frozen wasteland in Scavengers. You will be working directly in Unreal Engine 4 editor with special attention on the Material Editor, Foliage Tools, Landscape Materials and in Blueprint.
Areas for Impact
- Generate benchmark quality, highly performant realtime Assets and Materials in UE4.
- Review and optimize environment art for high performance on a wide array of GPU's.
- Plan outsourcing assignments, review and approve incoming work from Outsource Partners for consistency and quality.
- Work closely with many disciplines on a small, nimble and highly experienced team.
We'd like to hear from you if you identify with the following
- Solid understanding of performance and GPU rendering for creating optimized realtime content in large, streamed worlds.
- Deep knowledge of Unreal Engine 4, with attention towards Landscapes, Foliage, Collision Systems, Material Editor, Node Based Shader Construction and Blueprint Design.
- Experience developing tools to support Procedurally Generated Content.
- Attention to detail and beauty as demonstrated in a world-class art portfolio.
- Outstanding communication and collaboration skills.
- Experience supporting environment art in a live, operating service is a plus.
While we think the above experience could be important, we’re keen to hear from people that believe they have valuable experience to bring to the role. If you identify with the team and mission, but not all of our requirements, then please still apply!!
COVID-19 Studio Guidelines
The health, safety, and well being of our team members is of the utmost importance to our studio. As such, we have transitioned to remote work by default until a time at which we can safely return to the office. This means that all interviews, "onsite" interviews, office tours, and onboarding will be done over videoconference (or phone).
We also recognize the impact the pandemic is having on all of us personally, and work hard to create a culture where mental health and wellness are valued and supported. If you have any questions or concerns about our studio policy, please don't hesitate to raise them with your recruiter.
The best ideas are often the least expected and require new ways of thinking; that’s why our teams at Improbable are made up of an incredible range of talented people. Improbable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.