Operations – Operations
Improbable is a British technology company that focuses on large-scale simulations in the cloud. In gaming and entertainment, Improbable unlocks truly next-generation gameplay through virtual worlds of unprecedented scale, persistence and richness.
Improbable believes that China is leading the world in gaming, and that the next generation of virtual worlds will be developed by the prosperous Chinese Game Development Community.
Improbable is working towards opening multiple offices within China and hiring the initial ‘founders’ of Improbable China; our core hub for APAC Operations. We are looking for individuals with a founder mentality to support Games Production, Business Development and Product Development. Initially the focus will be on SpatialOS, but we are also opening our China Office to explore new product opportunities in gaming.
Our first China office will be based in Guangzhou and we expect to expand to multiple locations over time, as we explore additional opportunities beyond the SpatialOS platform. There will be significant opportunities to work with our outstanding Product, Engineering and Commercial teams based in London, San Francisco and other APAC countries.
We are a multinational technology company proudly building a diverse workforce, driven by a shared desire to improve and achieve extraordinary things. We’re crafting technology for the future and fostering a problem-solving culture that embraces innovation through iteration and experimentation.
In this role, you will be our first dedicated IT hire across China. Based in our Shanghai headquarters, and reporting to our local engineering leadership, you will support employees across all 4 of our offices in China.You will create and manage our Information Technology systems, working to ensure that employees have the necessary hardware and supporting infrastructure to get stuff done. You will work with our global team to design our IT and security policies and processes for our Chinese offices, and lead their local implementation.You will also provide support on networking infrastructure, ensuring that Improbable’s internal systems and tools are easily accessible from within China. You will use this expertise to help customers debug their own networking environments to work with Improbable systems.
- Own the entirety of Information Technology and the accompanying policies for the office, including designing, documenting, implementing, securing, auditing, and maintenance
- Manage local external equipment vendors and service providers
- Create and manage a significant IT budget, investing where appropriate
- Liaise regularly with Improbable’s security, helpdesk and engineering teams located in London
- Identifying opportunities to use external contractors to deliver on business objectives and managing their work to those meet those deliverables
- Proven experience with significant IT expansions and build outs
- Experience working with vendors to provide IT solutions and licence management
- Experience of corporate networking environments, particularly for SaaS/PaaS or cloud companies
- Excellent technical problem solving skills
- Experience working in/building lean IT support teams
- Full professional proficiency in both Mandarin and English
- Knowledge of networking especially DNS, DHCP, IPSEC VPNs and troubleshooting
- Endpoint Management: Installing applications, troubleshooting issues, Patch management
- Security awareness.
The following would be advantageous
- Games industry experience
- Experience working in a software development environment
- Experience with source control systems such as SVN, GIT, Perforce
- Experience supporting game developers and tools.
The best ideas are often the least expected and require new ways of thinking; that’s why our teams at Improbable are made up of an incredible range of talented people. Improbable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.