Game Backend Programmer
Gaming and Production – Gaming and Production
Improbable believes in a future where new, virtual worlds will augment human experience and become as meaningful, lasting and rich as the physical world. We call this the Multiversal Self.
Our platform, SpatialOS, lets developers transcend the limits of regular computation, allowing swarms of servers running in the cloud to cooperate in order to simulate worlds far larger and more complex than any single server could.
At Improbable, you are surrounded by people who want to improve everything and everyone around them, and who compel you to improve yourself. We’re motivated by the fulfilment of solving hard problems to achieve something profound and transformative.
As a Games Backend Programmer at Improbable you will play an important role in our small, fast-moving team building scalable, green-field, backend services in support of massively multiplayer games.
We expect you will contribute to the design, implementation & operation of services that empower our partners & internal teams to focus on trail-blazing the next generation of innovative gameplay.
- Knowledge of at least two programming languages and paradigms (e.g. C++, C#, Go, Java, Python, etc).
- Experience with at least one public cloud environment (e.g. GCP, AWS, Azure, Alibaba, etc)
- Excellent communication and team skills; with the ability to communicate with both non-technical stakeholders (e.g., producers, artists, designers) and establish technical requirements from creative or design-led pitches.
- Good knowledge of internet networking and performance.
- Passionate about troubleshooting, debugging, and automation.
- Proven experience building & operating web services in a production environment.
The following would be advantageous:
- Experience in the games industry.
- Proficient in C#, including experience with .NET Core.
- Track record of interacting with open source projects (bug reports, bug fixes, own projects).
- Experience with Google-for-Everyone-Else technologies: Prometheus, gRPC, Docker, Kubernetes etc.
- Experience with real-time, distributed systems.
- Fluent Mandarin.
The best ideas are often the least expected and require new ways of thinking; that’s why our teams at Improbable are made up of an incredible range of talented people. Improbable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.