Senior Build Engineer (Unreal Engine) - Metaverse
Remote - Hungary /
Metaverse Group – M2 /
Permanent Employee (PE)
Our metaverse group helps our partners realise their metaverse ambitions. The team’s expertise encompasses creative (concept and design), production (art and content), engineering (game development and Web3) and operations (dev and live).
At Improbable, you’ll collaborate with some of the best in the industry. Together, you’ll create unique, tailored experiences that stretch the boundaries of what’s possible in digital spaces and virtual worlds – and help define what the metaverse can be.
The ways that we develop, test, iterate and deliver our Metaverse experiences at Improbable are critical to our success. We need to create or adapt solutions that are flexible enough to accommodate a large variety of games, game-like content, technologies, teams and approaches. The solutions we apply must also reduce duplicated effort through sharing and re-use. It’s a fine line to walk, and requires experience, pragmatism and empathy. Our ultimate goal is to industrialize our game development tools and processes, allowing us to experiment and deliver at massive scale.
As a Senior Build Engineer, you will be responsible for learning, building, teaching and researching the foundations of our internal studios’ development toolkits. You will deliver build systems, in-engine tooling, infrastructure components, automated testing solutions, development processes and alerting and reporting. Our central DevOps function is a resource for our internal studios, providing them the means to request and compose what they need to successfully develop their games.
- Have heavy involvement in the creation of development processes, CI pipelines, and workflows, focused on game engines and their components
- Architect infrastructure to support a growing customer base and adapt to changing customer requirements
- Creating a platform for fast game development for many teams
- Give constructive critique on the quality of the build systems and pipelines used within the project, using data-driven metrics as the guiding source of truth
- Display a high degree of discipline in following the software engineering processes as well as passing this discipline to serviced customers
- Own automated processes, through requirements gathering, design and implementation
- Mentor junior engineers
Why You're Made for This:
- An Expert in a Build Engineer skill-set (e.g.: source control, CI, bug tracking, automated testing, build engineering, Jira etc…) with successful projects that show an end-to-end understanding of the process
- Ability to integrate directly into customer teams to optimize their delivery models and set them up for future success
- Prototype and rapid iteration mentality, using pragmatic delivery methods to have fast impact and quickly identify the best solution for a problem
- Experience with Unreal Engine 4 is essential
- Experience with, or an understanding of Perforce (preferable)
- Experienced with any popular cloud hosting provider (AWS, GCP, Azure) (preferable)
- Able to mentor and create tutorials, guides, or other important documentation for more junior staff members
- Skilled in one or more common scripting languages (Python, Bash, Powershell, etc)
This role is available as remote, hybrid or in-office. We have a great office space in Spitalfields in London but are equally happy if you'd prefer to work from home some, or all of the time. We are 'Flexa' certified, meaning our entire employee experience is anchored around flexibility and autonomy.
While we think the above experience could be important, we’re keen to hear from people that believe they have valuable experience to bring to the role. If you identify with the team and mission, but not all of our requirements, then please still apply.
Improbable is determined to foster an environment where people can do their best work and feel like they belong. We believe a healthy culture, strong values and contribution from a diverse range of individuals will help us to achieve success.
We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, gender, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.