Senior Model Engineer - Defence and National Security (Customer Engineering)
Defence - Customer Engineering – Defence /
Permanent Employee (PE)
We build synthetic environments and simulations of huge scale and complexity, which help defence and national security personnel make faster and more informed decisions. You’ll work alongside a team of experts, combining our innovative technology for virtual worlds with computational modelling, data analytics and distributed systems. Join us and help build the virtual worlds defence experts use to plan, train and make life-saving decisions – to keep us all safe in the real world.
At Improbable we build simulations and digital twins that combine our innovative Skyral® platform with computational modelling, data analytics, and distributed systems. Our customer projects encompass myriad use cases from civilian behaviour modelling to critical national infrastructure to automation within supply chains and logistics.
We are seeking a Senior Model Engineer to join our friendly, relaxed and inclusive team. This role is open to candidates from a wide range of technical backgrounds who have a passion for problem-solving and a desire to work in a collaborative and supportive environment. You'll have the chance to work alongside a multidisciplinary team of scientists, modellers, and software engineers who collaborate closely with our customers to take modelling to the next level.
- You will be responsible for developing and implementing highly-complex and scientifically defensible models and simulations used in our customer projects. These models typically encode real-life systems and behaviours, allowing users to analyse performance and test different scenarios.
- We have a broad range of roles and activities, depending on your experience and preferences you may be developing models yourself or productionising prototype models developed by our applied scientists.
- You’ll also be building pipelines to extract, synthesise and integrate data from various sources; building tooling that enables model developers to do their work quicker and better; and profiling and improving the performance of models so that we can reach new levels of speed and scale.
- We divide up ownership across the team, so expect responsibility early on, but the team is large enough that you will be fully supported by colleagues.
Why You're Made For This:
- To succeed in this role, you will need a strong scientific and engineering mindset, software engineering experience, and a desire to resolve complex technical problems and systems-level requirements.
- Prior experience applying model and data engineering to solve customer problems
- Experience of mathematical modelling paradigms (e.g. systems dynamics, event-based modelling, agent-based modelling) and associated simulation tools
- Skilled in Python including the more advanced features of the language (e.g. decorators, and built-in methods).
- Professional experience of tools and libraries for modelling, data analysis and scientific computing (e.g. NumPy, Pandas, SciPy).
- Naturally pragmatic, balancing fast-moving project requirements with quality and good practices.
- Ability to think holistically about every aspect of software development, including testing, documentation, security and performance.
While we think the above experience could be important, we’re keen to hear from people that believe they have valuable experience to bring to the role. If you identify with the team and mission, but not all of our requirements, then please still apply.
Improbable is determined to foster an environment where people can do their best work and feel like they belong. We believe a healthy culture, strong values and contribution from a diverse range of individuals will help us to achieve success.
We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, gender, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.