Engineering Manager - Simulation Runtime, Defence
Engineering – Engineering /
Permanent Employee (PE)
Improbable has created SpatialOS: a networking solution combining low latency, tools for faster iteration, and a ready-to-go architecture capable of supporting innovative games.
Now the Improbable Defence division, building on the backbone of SpatialOS, has combined world class scientific modelling, market leading AI, mission specific user interfaces and a uniquely flexible and secure deployment model to create a powerful simulation platform tailored to the needs of the military.
Our mission? To enable the most realistic and effective military simulations ever experienced, making defence users more effective on operations and decreasing the cost of military preparedness.
The mission of an engineering manager is to develop, scale and encourage their engineering team in building the Defence business. You will lead the Defence Runtime Team provides the simulation execution engine used to power wargaming and operational planning for our military simulation product. This is a completely new product optimised for operational planning and wargaming in complex simulated environments.
It will be used to run large-scale faster than real-time simulations that combine models of real world social, political and technological systems written in multiple languages, modelling tools, and existing simulation engines.
You will embody our values and ensure your team is working hard, being kind and having fun. You will be a servant-leader. You will embody our goal of “team before the needs of the individual in order to best fulfil our duty to our customers.”
Areas for Impact
- You will lead one of the core engineering teams in the Improbable Defence business. This role not only encompasses coaching and developing a team of top-class engineers, but also contributing to product vision, strategic direction and delivery management.
- You will grow a team of successful engineers through collaborative development planning, coaching, and empowerment through strategic goals.
- You will collaborate with other EMs and Senior SWEs/Principals to determine the strategic direction and long-term viability of your software architecture, both from a business and technology standpoint.
- You will understand the business drivers, functionality requirements, architecture, and technologies behind the products and systems you own and provide context and visibility into the reasoning behind decisions whilst empowering your engineers to independently execute.
- We expect that, as we scale, that you will scale with the business to take on additional headcount, create sub-teams and grow your remit.
We'd like to hear from you if you identify with the following:
- You an experienced engineering manager with a clear focus on managing the development and growth of engineers. You ascribe to the idea of servant-leadership and are motivated by the success of your teams.
- You have led high-performing, happy teams building complex modern software with particular influence over product strategy and delivery
- You have spent a proportion of your career as an engineer working on large-scale systems, leveraging that knowledge to coach and develop your reports.
- You consistently bring strong, data-driven business and technical judgment to decisions and clearly communicate trade offs and decisions to your team.
- You are an empathetic communicator who can navigate tricky situations, having tough conversations where necessary, and being objective and structured in your approach to all personnel matters.
- You’re considerate, humble, and a strong believer in teamwork.
- Read more about our division here: http://bit.ly/2lt8DnI
While we think the above experience could be important, we’re keen to hear from people that believe they have valuable experience to bring to the role.
The best ideas are often the least expected and require new ways of thinking; that’s why our teams at Improbable are made up of an incredible range of talented people. Improbable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.