Game Engine Programmer
Gaming and Production – Gaming and Production
Improbable believes in a future where new, virtual worlds will augment human experience and become as meaningful, lasting and rich as the physical world. We call this the Multiversal Self.
Our platform, SpatialOS, lets developers transcend the limits of regular computation, allowing swarms of servers running in the cloud to cooperate in order to simulate worlds far larger and more complex than any single server could.
At Improbable, you are surrounded by people who want to improve everything and everyone around them, and who compel you to improve yourself. We’re motivated by the fulfilment of solving hard problems to achieve something profound and transformative.
You will work on cutting-edge engine technology, building gameplay and gameplay systems that interact with network back end systems to deliver exciting online game experiences and features. You will be often involved at early concept and design phase for the multitude of projects we are currently working on. You will frequently embed in other teams to provide direct assistance.
A great advantage of working at Improbable is that you are constantly engaging with new genres of games which are using either the commercial engines like Unreal/Unity/CryEngine or bespoke engines. So, you can grow your expertise and influence across multiple engines. You will find ways about why there is an advantage of using a certain Engine over the other and use your learnings to architect a better performing and better quality game overall.
Our working methods are very flexible as we are always challenging the technology to its limits. We are always finding ways to learn and spread knowledge within the team.
The best part of working at Improbable is that you are working in a team of friendly and extremely talented developers who want to share their own challenges and expertise with you.
- Demonstrable knowledge and passion for games and/or game development.
- Fully established engine programming professional with AAA experience at a Lead or Principal levelKnowledge of game architectures and game development paradigms (e.g., entity component systems).
- Knowledge and working experience of game engines (e.g., Unity, Unreal or CryEngine) or any other proprietary game engines.
- Deep knowledge of C++ and experience in a core tech role. C# and scripting skills also desirable.
- We are looking for broad console platform experience, PC optimization or mobile engine experience is also very desirable.
- Experience in Rendering/Graphics Engineering or in Networking is also a big advantage.
- Experience in a wide skill set is a big plus as you'll get lots of variety. So broad knowledge of animation, physics, optimisation, multi-threading, build systems and continuous integration, scene management and resource management would benefit the team in general.
- Excellent communication and team skills; Ability to communicate with both non-technical stakeholders (e.g., producers, artists, designers).
- Ability to establish technical requirements from creative or design-led pitches.
- Ability to define and understand elements of game design documents and technical design documents.
Experience of the following would be advantageous
- Previous experience with shipping a game.
- Previous experience with implementing features for multiplayer games.
- Knowledge of implementing gameplay or elements of gameplay (e.g., combat mechanics, AI behaviours, pathfinding).
The best ideas are often the least expected and require new ways of thinking; that’s why our teams at Improbable are made up of an incredible range of talented people. Improbable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.