Games Backend Engineer
Gaming and Production – Gaming and Production
Improbable is a British technology company that focuses on large-scale simulations in the cloud. In gaming and entertainment, Improbable unlocks truly next-generation gameplay through virtual worlds of unprecedented scale, persistence and richness.
Improbable believes that China is leading the world in gaming, and that the next generation of virtual worlds will be developed by the prosperous Chinese Game Development Community.
Improbable is working towards opening multiple offices within China and hiring the initial ‘founders’ of Improbable China; our core hub for APAC Operations. We are looking for individuals with a founder mentality to support Games Production, Business Development and Product Development. Initially the focus will be on SpatialOS, but we are also opening our China Office to explore new product opportunities in gaming.
Our first China office will be based in Guangzhou and we expect to expand to multiple locations over time, as we explore additional opportunities beyond the SpatialOS platform. There will be significant opportunities to work with our outstanding Product, Engineering and Commercial teams based in London, San Francisco and other APAC countries.
We are a multinational technology company proudly building a diverse workforce, driven by a shared desire to improve and achieve extraordinary things. We’re crafting technology for the future and fostering a problem-solving culture that embraces innovation through iteration and experimentation.
As a Games Backend Engineer at Improbable you will play an important role in our small, fast-moving team building scalable, green-field, backend services in support of massively multiplayer games.
We expect you will contribute to the design, implementation & operation of services that empower our partners & internal teams to focus on trail-blazing the next generation of innovative gameplay.
- Knowledge of at least two programming languages and paradigms (e.g. C++, C#, Go, Java, Python, etc)
- Experience with at least one public cloud environment (e.g. GCP, AWS, Azure, Alibaba, Tencent, etc)
- Excellent communication and team skills; with the ability to communicate with both non-technical stakeholders (e.g., producers, artists, designers) and establish technical requirements from creative or design-led pitches
- Good knowledge of internet networking and performance
- Passionate about troubleshooting, debugging, and automation
- Proven experience building & operating web services in a production environment
- Full professional proficiency in reading and writing, conversational English
The following would be advantageous
- Experience in the games industry
- Track record of interacting with open source projects (bug reports, bug fixes, own projects)
- Experience with: Prometheus, gRPC, Docker, Kubernetes etc.
- Experience with real-time, distributed systems
The best ideas are often the least expected and require new ways of thinking; that’s why our teams at Improbable are made up of an incredible range of talented people. Improbable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.