New York, NY
Incandescent is a strategy consulting and venture development firm; we conduct research, advise leaders and develop our own ventures. As advisors, we serve CEOs of Fortune 500 companies across a range of industries (similar to a traditional management consulting firm), founders of early- and growth-stage ventures (often compensated in whole or in part with equity in our client’s venture), and visionary leaders in social sector organizations (with clients such as The Rockefeller Foundation and Acumen).
Founded in 2013, we’ve been building a small team, slowly and carefully. Each team member plays an integral part in developing Incandescent as a firm that discovers better ways to create, build and run organizations.
Essence of the Role
We're looking for someone who can “hit the ground running” at our four-year-old startup. Given the intentionally broad range of our work, we are looking for someone who could take on responsibility in each of the three major domains of our firm: consulting and advisory work, venture development and research. Incandescent team members:
1. Serve as advisors and consultants, in small teams (generally 2-4 people), working directly for senior stakeholders. Our small team size gives each team member significant client-facing responsibility from the beginning. As generalists, we serve clients on a broad range of issues, including strategy, organizational design, culture and capability-building.
2. Work with early-stage ventures. We serve founders and their executive teams, helping them design and build core processes and systems to grow their company, as well as engaging on questions of strategy and business planning.
3. Build Incandescent! Whether it’s helping push our research agenda or developing our systems and processes, we each play an active role in firm-building.
- You are intellectually curious. You seek a deeper understanding of how organizations in all sectors perform best.
- You are empathetic. You have the capacity to imagine how the world looks to others and to build bonds of trust even in difficult circumstances.
- You are disciplined and intentional. You consistently follow through, and you translate intentions and decisions into sustained effort and results.
- You are action-oriented and resourceful. You see opportunities to make a difference; you are flexible and comfortable with ambiguity.
- You have an incredibly high drive to learn. You are committed to honest self-examination and open feedback from others. You are willing to take risks and fail and to invest in doing whatever it takes to grow into an exceptional performer.
We are looking for individuals with 5+ years of relevant job experience – most likely in business, but perhaps in sectors where experience can rapidly translate into impact in a business setting.
Why the Role is Compelling
This role offers the chance to take part in growing an entrepreneurial venture. Incandescent team members are exposed to an unusually wide range of people and issues across both the business and social sectors. They are also involved in the internal infrastructure and operations of a new company and with the firm’s thinking and research. Our team members develop a broad set of professional skills, honing them to excellence in a demanding environment. We are building a diverse team in which each individual is exceptionally strong and everyone is committed to the rapid development of themselves and others.
Our founder Niko Canner is an accomplished leader in the consulting world. He was named one of ten “new gurus” by Fortune magazine in November 2008, and was selected by Consulting Magazine as one of the top twenty-five in the consulting profession in 2010. Niko was most recently a member of the Management Committee of Bridgewater Associates. Prior to joining Bridgewater, Niko was co-founder and Managing Partner of the consulting firm Katzenbach Partners and then Senior Partner at Booz & Company following the sale of Katzenbach to Booz in 2009. Niko began his consulting career at McKinsey & Company, where he was a founding member of the McKinsey Change Center.